Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Common sense clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Red face Common sense clutch??

Hey there,
When i told my mates by email, i got myself a Mitsubishi, they all thought the same thing (as they all drive Imprezas (don't ask me why)), Oh dear, he got an Evo.
I'm afraid not. A decent Evo was like 10k out of my budget. So I got a Shogun Sport instead (Montero).
Hmm, well it's 4wd?!!!
Anyways, it's been doing a great job, i love it to bits. Which is just as well, cos that's what it'll be in shortly. Bits.
The clutch is on it's way out. Correction, the clutch was on it's way out in January. Now, it's completely past it.
So, why I'm on here, apart from inciting conversation from other Mitsubishi enthusiasts is to find out, is it a common sense job changing a clutch on a 2004 2.5TD 4WD Montero Sport. I have changed a clutch on a Sierra (family sized Ford) by myself with the car on blocks, by resting the whole gearbox on my belly and shuffling out from underneath it, and reversing process eventually getting clutch lined up and gearbox put back on. I'm wondering, is a clutch on a Montero, as simple as that?? Can i just remove drive shafts and gear linkages and use a very bug piece of wood to hold the engine and gearbox apart while i change the clutch? Or is it the sort of thing you really have to take the car to the garage for????

Please help, if i could now afford to take it to the garage of course i would. I'm not a mechanic. I'm a common sense person. But I'm worried, i could be biting off more than i can chew with this one.

Thanks a lot folks.

Russ