Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

electrical issues i might be retarded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 AM

ok so new syptom i noticed while i was trying to figure out if my dimmer switch or if my headlight switch was bad that for one my headlight switch works no issues there. not sure on my dimmer yet but i did notice i blew the fuse for the lights no parking lights or tail light were working either so i replaced it and the new one instantly blew as well. which leads me to belive that i have a short some where...... so im thinking its in my gauge cluster the one that i hacked up and soldered bake togehter so i put a new bigger fuse in and unplugged the cluster it didnt blow so i plugged the cluster back in and it diddnt blow so now im not sure its my cluster when i turn on my head lights the clock dims like its supoosed to but the gauge lighst still dont come on my gear indicator "D" blinks when i put it in reverse the "R" dosent blink and the rest PND21 all blink (not at the same time but when i select that gear) none of them stay steady like before. when i turn my headlights on they turn off completely. still totally confused

Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM

You replaced a fuse that was instablowing with a fuse of a higher rating? That's not a good idea at all.

You should get a bag of the proper rated fuses or a proper rated circuit breaker and see if it's still blowing with and without the cluster.

Maybe take some more pics and some close up of the splices and stuff and of both ends of the connector.. Maybe someone here can see something that looks wrong.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Default FSM link...

http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

Use the above link, and get a PDF version of the manual for your vehicle. From the sounds of it, you have to have connected something wrong. Some of the color combinations are quite close and without a real good light look the same but are not.

I agree with the above post, putting a larger fuse in to keep from blowing the right size one is asking for trouble. I hate the smell of electrical fires, you never seem to be able to get rid of that smell..

Old 08-11-2015, 10:18 AM

I agree, that was my concern.. A cross connected wire.. There are so many wires there and I am sure some of them look nearly identical but aren't.

Then again he may be onto something with that fuse thing :P Just make sure you park it far away from anything you care about and wait :P Also make sure your insurance is up to date.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 AM

THANK YOU Guyfromhe andChuckles1956!!!!! for helping me out and being the only two people trying to help me out. i figured it out! by the way i also took out the bigger fuse put it back to 10a. youll be glad to here that it wasnt my wiring that was the issue. so thats good to know. i went under the hood and found where the po had installed a rats nest of wires where he tapped into the fuse box to hook up some extra fog lights so i cleaned it all up replaced the fuse and it stopped blowing fuses. got a new multimeter as my old one was on its last leg. and did some testing. the culpret............. the dimmer control for the dash lights!! right now i have one ordered and everything is working as it should/was i guess it got fried some time between my issues cause it worked just fine before. now i have it jumped so it dosent dim until my replacement comes. thanks all

Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 AM

What a weird coincidence! I'm glad you found the cause. This kind of thing is super hard to diagnose in person never mind over the internet with someone you don't know :P

As a general rule though upsizing fuses is a terrible idea. They are rated based on the gauge of the wiring and the stuff on the other end. You could melt the wire, start a fire or even blow out whatever is on the other end of the fuse.