Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

sudden electrical issues on '02 Lancer OZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Default sudden electrical issues on '02 Lancer OZ

I took my'02 LancerOZ to get the windshield replaced today. An hour later I got in my car..nowlots of the electrical stuff is messed up(stereo won’t work, clock doesn’t work, some of the lights in the dash don’t work, door locks don't work if the ignition is off). Everything worked just fine before I got the windshield replaced. Any ideas what happened or how to fix it?? Thanks a million!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned
Default RE: sudden electrical issues on '02 Lancer OZ

Check all fuses

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM

Was the inside of yourcar wet before you change the windshield? if yes you might have short the wirings just like my friend's car.

he left the window open and his steering wheel controls, radio etc etc blew he had to go back to the dealer and fix it for Free.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone. To my knowledge it was not wet. It wasn't raining anyway. And I have checked all the fuses that I can find, passenger compartment and under the hood.

I did find some additional issues. Here is a complete list in case it is helpful or meaningful. These are all new issues that only happened after my windshield was replaced.

-door locks only operate if ignition is in start position
-headlights and hazards only work if ignition is in start position
-keyless entry doesn't work at all
-radio/cd doesn't work at all (once in awhile I get a noise from it as though the cd is trying to work, but no lights or other sounds)
-clock (not attached to HU) doesn't work at all
-dome light doesn't work at all
-door-ajar light on fuel gauge doesn't work at all
-the trip meter resets itself (digital) to 0 every time the car is shut off
-ignition makes a fast clicking sound
-door locks have an extended sound (like a hum)after being pushed (when the car is on)

Someone mentioned it could be the Body Control Module (??), but I don't know what that is or where to find it. As well, I have been unable to find a Chilton's or Haynes for the '02 Lancer. Thanks again for your help! Please keep the ideas coming!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Well not Even Sebba or me can help you with electrical problems
You need a an automotive electrician. they are not cheap by the way

I just can imagine everything were perfectly fine before you replaced the windshield after that nothing is working which very odd for a car problem.

Windshield replacement is not even complicated to install on the car just simple fitting and the right sealant for the rubber and your all set to drive your car.

did you check the batteryand voltage regulator,fuses and wirings?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

No kidding. Things like this are pretty much impossible to track down without having the car in front of me.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Well I broke down and took it to the dealership at lunch today. I was avoiding this, fearing even the diagnostic would cost an arm and a leg. BUT they were AWESOME! It was just a fuse, one tucked up under/in the dashboard. There's no way I would have found it myself. They washed her, too, and they did it all for free. I love that dealership! The people there are amazing! ANDI got to test drive an Evo X!!! It was freakin' amazing!!! I was in heaven! Anyway, it's a good day.

Thanks again for your posts! I appreciate the help!

k