Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

94 Mirage - sudden huge oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Default 94 Mirage - sudden huge oil leak

Our '94 Mirage ES, affectionately known as "The Dentmobile" for its uncanny ability to attract other vehicles to bump into it in parking lots, is now in the hands of the fourth driver in the family. It's been reliable commuter car, student car, etc. We've lovingly fiberglassed the rusty roof, pounded out and bondoed the dents, smoothed and wet sanded, set up the compressor and set of paint stray tools....and then the reliable engine decides to have a nervous breakdown, literally dropping all the oil on the driveway.

Symptoms that led up to this? Recently, my teenage son complained that the oil light was coming on. Since he's not a motorhead, the concept of running a car without oil didn't create a sense of urgency.

I gave him the SAT comparison about oil is to cars as blood is to humans.

So we looked for leaks, topped the oil, ran it for a few minutes until warm and no drips, runs or errors. I sent him to night class and had him stay close to home where speed limit is 25 and he could walk home in an hour should the car die.

Next morning, oil is all over the driveway under the car. I checked the dip stick, and 3 quarts are gone...again. I know the kid isn't selling used 10w40 to his classmates.

Filter was tight. Oil pan plug is tight. Some oil pan bolts were 1/4 turn loose. No oil around head gasket or plugs. No oil around valve covers. But...under the engine, way at the back (past cylinder 4) of the engine where it bolts to transmission (aka when facing car the left most side of engine under the hood) there is oil dripping. I think it could be coming from the area where the drive shafts exit, but hard to tell due to the dirt, etc.

Other observation - he's been complaining of reduced mileage before the oil problem became pronounced. I used to get 30mpg, he's getting 20 and isn't a lead foot. Car does not burn oil, rings are fine, no blue smoke, no black or white smoke, recently passed smog test.

Is it possible the rear main bearing is shot and causing leaks? Is there some plug or other bolt that could be loose? Is there some part on this area of engine/tranny that vibrated off? I saw all the freeze plugs in place and no leaks from them. Do the drive shaft bearings or silent shaft bearings wear out and weap oil? Is it possible the tranny and engine bolts are loose? I don't hear strange sounds when driving, coasting or sitting.

Is The Dentmobile ready for the big parts-shop in the sky?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Default RE: 94 Mirage - sudden huge oil leak

The rear main seal sounds like it failed if you are leaking whereyou are saying its leaking. Itslike the front crank seal, but for the opposite sideon the transmission side and alot more work to get to. It will require to remove the transmission to replace the seal.