Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander sudden increase in oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Default 2007 Outlander sudden increase in oil consumption

My 07 Outlander LS (107K miles) has suddenly started consuming oil at an alarming rate. I changed the oil two weeks ago and found it with only 2.5 qts in the sump this past weekend. The initial condition that alerted me to the fact that something was wrong was a really bad misfire on cold startup. It would not start and idle properly and while doing basic troubleshooting, I discovered the low oil condition. I am sure I put enough oil in. I used a 5 quart jug of synthetic 5w-20 Mobil 1 and used most of it. IIRC, it took a total of 4.8 qts including oil filter.

There are no leaks under the engine. It is not blowing blue smoke now although it did smoke a lot when I started it after refilling the crankcase. The top end is quiet (no lifter noise). It has been running smoothly since I refilled it with fresh oil. I am getting about 200 miles to the quart. I am stumped. Has anyone else here experienced this kind of oil consumption without obvious leaks or blue smoke from tailpipe?

Last edited by mda185; 12-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Blue smoke on start-up could be valve seals.

It has to be going somewhere.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Blue smoke on start-up could be valve seals.

It has to be going somewhere.
It has not continued to smoke on cold start-up since that first instance and oil consumption seems to have stopped also. I only have about 500 miles on it since the initial incident so I am not certain about anything yet. I am going to try replacing the PCV next. A Mitsubishi mechanic told me a clogged or partially clogged valve could cause increased oil consumption. I will continue watching this closely. It is due for timing belt replacement but I don't want to spend $1400 on that maintenance if there are bigger issues.

Follow up to this post. Oil level has remained steady for a week and another 600 miles and I really don't understand what happened. My Outlander was in for an alignment after I performed the oil change and I am beginning to think they drained some oil by accident and never told me. I asked if they started to perform an oil change and realized it was a mistake but they denied it. I changed the PCV valve just to be thorough but the old one was not clogged.

This is one of the stranger things I have experienced in 30 years of working on cars.

Last edited by mda185; 12-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up oil problem 2007 reply

I had the same problem with my outlander 2007 but the oil was changed by the dealership I brought it back to them and told them what I thought the problem was I think they put the oil filter on dry with out putting oil on the rubber seal they checked it out and did what I told them and they couldn't find anything wrong needless to say it never lost oil again.
I know this is a older post but it might help someone I might add also that it took driving down the road with oil presser up and the spray did not get on the motor I guess it was the perfect storm not to do that.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

You know what, there must be something about Mobil 1 because I've had the same problem with every engine I've put that oil in. For some reason, it just disappears! I switched to Castrol Syntec and I never had any more oil level issues.

That ought to do it.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:18 AM
Unhappy 1L at 1000 km for a 2.0L engine

Originally Posted by mda185
My 07 Outlander LS (107K miles) has suddenly started consuming oil at an alarming rate. I changed the oil two weeks ago and found it with only 2.5 qts in the sump this past weekend. The initial condition that alerted me to the fact that something was wrong was a really bad misfire on cold startup. It would not start and idle properly and while doing basic troubleshooting, I discovered the low oil condition. I am sure I put enough oil in. I used a 5 quart jug of synthetic 5w-20 Mobil 1 and used most of it. IIRC, it took a total of 4.8 qts including oil filter.

There are no leaks under the engine. It is not blowing blue smoke now although it did smoke a lot when I started it after refilling the crankcase. The top end is quiet (no lifter noise). It has been running smoothly since I refilled it with fresh oil. I am getting about 200 miles to the quart. I am stumped. Has anyone else here experienced this kind of oil consumption without obvious leaks or blue smoke from tailpipe?
I use this car from 194.000km on odometer until now -at 294.000.
I need to add 1L of oil at 1.000 km. It's huge!!!
From time to time I have the "check engine" light on. But disappear relatively fast.
No blue smoke at tailpipe, no visible oil drip. I need to mention that tailpipe is very black on inside.
Engine start well, torque is modest (but is a 2.0 - is natural).
No misfire.