Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

looking to buy a montero limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Default looking to buy a montero limited

Hi everyone, well just as the title states I'm looking to buy a limited. I want to go ahead and thank everyone for answering any questions I may ask. Currently I own a 2004 xterra and before that a land rover discovery ii. I have always loved Montero's and because of the optional central diff lock and available 3rd row seating that i miss in the rover i owned I am gonna get out of the xterra and into a montero.

I have some ???? That may seem dumb so please feel free to let me know if they are, lol.

What years offer the cdl?
Are 2003 + awd or 4x4
Do 2003+ have a selectable low range t. Case
all years have a t. Belt? Or do certain years have a t. Chain?
What years 2000+ are most dependable?
What specific failures do these have "engine, drive terrain, steering etc..."
Other than the norm when purchasing a used vehicle what should I look for?
......I'm sure I will think of some more questions but for now that's a good start
thanks again

Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM

I just bought one and good ones are hard to hunt down. I bought one out of state, and getting it delivered 1500 miles. I think the 01 and 02 are more of a rugged off road and the 03-06 are more for luxury IMO. They all use a timing belt. They're all dependable but tend to run hot on higher mileage so check for blown heads and also leaks.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks darkside, are Montero's bad about failed head gaskets? I like the looks of the 01-02 better then the 0-06 icalso like how it actually says cd lock on the gauge cluster. I also like the looks of the older 2nd gens they remind me of a land cruiser but less $$$ with the same features. My wife is totally on board for finding one so I will be selling my 04 xterra and making the plunge.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Yes, these cars run hot so blown heads are common. I do a coolant flush every year on my 02 sport and my 01 montero, since I live in Vegas. But with all cars, as long as you take care of it, it will go on for a long time. Look for leaks from the valve cover, I also bring along my scanner and see if there are any codes. Sellers sometimes turn off the cel just to fish in a buyer.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM

I've never seen my truck overheat in 11 years, i went to death valley CA. a couple of years ago with temps. in the 3 digit range so, as long as you take care of the cooling system you will have no problems. Never had any major mechanical issues either but remember preventive maintenance is your best friend.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Thanks guys. Knowing that as long as I keep good coolant and a flush once a year is good to hear thats not too bad.., the d2 that I owned had me constantly worried that the gonna blow the hg's. It never did but I couldn't drive longer than a few days before the thought crossed my mind lol.
I will definitely check the vcg's for leaks and also run and get a scanner ran on it. Most importantly I will have a mechanic put it on a rack and check underneath. I couldnt agree more that preventative maintenance is a vehicle's best friend.
I was talking with a dealer today about the center diff lock and he was telling me that it was only an option land depending on the vin of the vehicle would depend if it was equipped with the cdl...

So i wonder if a non equipped cdl can be fitted by an actuator? They must have the same t.case as one that is equipped with the cdl. I can't see them putting a different t.case just because of an option.
So does anyone know if it can be done relatively easy?
Anyone know?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM

These trucks are 4x4 not AWD. So you have the option to get the on road part time 4 wheel drive for on road snow or rain, and the off road 4x4 by engaging the transfer case 4H or 4L.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM

Most definitely, but the limiteds are available with a center diff lock which locks the front and rear diffs so that 50% power is sent to each axle. So can limited that does not have the cdl be modded to have it? I doubt mitsubishi used 2 different t cases for a vehicle option. If so I stand corrected but if they didn't and both non equipped and equipped with cdl have the same t case which would mean that a non equipped cdl limited is only missing the components to activate the diff lock....if that makes any sense

Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM

That's probably an option on later models '03 thru '06, my 02 has an LSD only when the part time 4 wheel drive mode is engaged.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Does your instrument cluster say cd lock like this one? And please if im wrong let me know cause you own one and im only gathering info to purchase. But to my understanding cd lock means diff lock and your t. Case shifter should have 2h 4h 4hlc 4llc. The 4hlc and 4llc should lock the transfer case and send a 50/50 split power to the front and rear diff. Is this not the case on the limited?

Attached Thumbnails looking to buy a montero limited-%24_3-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: looking to buy a montero limited