Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Is the 2nd gen rear bumper rated for towing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Default Is the 2nd gen rear bumper rated for towing anything?

i asked mitsubishicars.com but got no reply.

just not a big fan of the exposed hitch assemblies...

probably a slim chance though coz that metal beam doesnt really look very
tough.

TIA for any info

Attached Thumbnails Is the 2nd gen rear bumper rated for towing anything?-1008161703b.jpg   Is the 2nd gen rear bumper rated for towing anything?-1008161703a.jpg   Is the 2nd gen rear bumper rated for towing anything?-1008161702b.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:26 AM

Are you after something like this?

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...31/#post300885

Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM

yes! either the one you posted or the other guy turbo.
but damn, seems theyre quite expensive and only available in aus.

the oem US version we're stuck here with is this: MZ313809

i got a drawtite/reese below-bumper one for less than $150 shipped.

i was thinking maybe i could attach a bolt-on standalone hitch to the bumper (like on RVs), if the bumper was strong enough.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:31 PM

I used a Curt bolt on hitch receiver that was super easy to install, but I think there is a 2000 pound towing limit so my bolt on 2" receiver is a bit of overkill. I've had the whole rear dis-assembled before (to put in sonar back up sensors) and that bar didn't seem very sturdy to me

Old 10-10-2016, 02:36 PM

I think I bought a curt hitch. I think it is rated as a class IV, but like others have said, the vehicle has a lower rating. receiver opening is about the same depth as pic above. I'm sure you could source the ball mount to get the ball closer to the vehicle. I have a standard mount that I flipped to have a 1" rise.
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum as I just picked up a 2nd gen model Outlander and have been reading up on this site. I have already learned quite a bit and hopefully someone might be able to help me with a question.

binzd and ccernst, do you know which bolt on receiver you ended up getting and did it require any modifications to the bumper? I just did a quick Amazon search and came up with: https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact.../dp/B0007LZBIS

I am just looking to add a rear cargo carrier that will never hold more than 300-500 pounds and while I have been considering a frame mount hitch, think a bolt on receiver would meet my needs just fine. I have the V6 version if it makes a difference.

Thanks for any help!

Originally Posted by binzd
I used a Curt bolt on hitch receiver that was super easy to install, but I think there is a 2000 pound towing limit so my bolt on 2" receiver is a bit of overkill. I've had the whole rear dis-assembled before (to put in sonar back up sensors) and that bar didn't seem very sturdy to me
Originally Posted by ccernst
I think I bought a curt hitch. I think it is rated as a class IV, but like others have said, the vehicle has a lower rating. receiver opening is about the same depth as pic above. I'm sure you could source the ball mount to get the ball closer to the vehicle. I have a standard mount that I flipped to have a 1" rise.
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is nothing on the back of the Outlander that will support any weight pull down on it. I have had the entire thing apart at one time or another. And I mean down to the pieces and bolts leaving just the frame with the inside removed too.

The bolt on is super easy and took me 20 minutes to install. The driver side is just three bolts to insert and torque down. The hardest thing is to get the muffler hanger off to position the passenger side correctly and then three bolts there. Just for good measure they give you a clamp that goes around the tow hook. This receiver literally becomes an extension of the frame.

Only full size pickups come with solid steel bumpers anymore and not even all of them have this option.

I have never towed a trailer with mine, but look forward to purchasing or building some kind of tear drop or retro camper in the future. Right now I have a three bike rack that fits nicely and comes with a tip back feature to allow the tailgate to open and I have one of those platform racks with a canvas bag for camping gear, hauling, etc.

Cheers and good luck

Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 AM

OH, I forgot about the muffler hanger. It's fairly easy with a few tricks. 1) spread a water based lubricant all over the hanger and post. 2) Use a pair of vice grips to clamp just below the rubber piece and 3) then a decent size screwdriver becomes a good lever. But do be careful, the exhaust system is incredibly expensive to replace.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Thank you so much for that explanation and the link binzd. I haven't disassembled the bumper yet but can imagine there not being anything to support any weight. I saw the picture of the Australian hitch which is bolted around the spare tire and not to the bumper but seems to require cutting the bumper which I would rather not do.

Also, I don't think is is available here in the US so will stick to the frame mount hitch you linked.

Thanks again!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is nothing on the back of the Outlander that will support any weight pull down on it. I have had the entire thing apart at one time or another. And I mean down to the pieces and bolts leaving just the frame with the inside removed too.

The bolt on is super easy and took me 20 minutes to install. The driver side is just three bolts to insert and torque down. The hardest thing is to get the muffler hanger off to position the passenger side correctly and then three bolts there. Just for good measure they give you a clamp that goes around the tow hook. This receiver literally becomes an extension of the frame.

Only full size pickups come with solid steel bumpers anymore and not even all of them have this option.

I have never towed a trailer with mine, but look forward to purchasing or building some kind of tear drop or retro camper in the future. Right now I have a three bike rack that fits nicely and comes with a tip back feature to allow the tailgate to open and I have one of those platform racks with a canvas bag for camping gear, hauling, etc.

Cheers and good luck

Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 AM

OH, I forgot about the muffler hanger. It's fairly easy with a few tricks. 1) spread a water based lubricant all over the hanger and post. 2) Use a pair of vice grips to clamp just below the rubber piece and 3) then a decent size screwdriver becomes a good lever. But do be careful, the exhaust system is incredibly expensive to replace.
Yes....muffler was 2nd hardest part cause I didn't know how far to stretch the rubber hanger. use dish soap/water mix and make sure to work it in. I used two screwdrivers and really stretched the rubber quite a bit. finally got it. Have something under the muffler to support as you take off the last support...

Once that was done, getting the bolts into the mounting holes was pretty hard on mine due to age. I had to get a tap to clean out the threads...once I got that...it was easy. if i hadn't had a tap set...not sure I would have gotten the bolts in.

I got my hitch off of amazon. I don't think they make a hitch that doesn't just bolt on to the sub-frame. e-trailer.com is a good research site that gets vehicle specific.