Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DOR Radiator Not Available in US

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM

seems like a quick test to disconnect the sensor on the failed radiator might see if the CEL no-start is true.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM

This is all that you need: A LIN Bus Signal Injector | Hackaday

But what exactly does the Lin bus sensor on the car measure??? Temperature??

If it's temperature, you can probably just put a TEE in your coolant lines and put the factory sensor on that to measure the temperature. Do you have a picture of it, or a part number for it??

Old 05-05-2015, 04:42 PM

The sensor sends the temperature of the radiator to the ECM to compare with the temperature at the thermostat. I unplugged mine and got a Pending Code of P1581 "Aux Input to Idle Control Missing". Last month, I contacted a dealer mechanic online and he was very emphatic in stating that the sensor is wired through the radiator and there is no re-soldering it in place, removing it simply destroys it. I only had a couple of minutes to play around before I had to get back to work, so it ran fine unplugged.

Attached Thumbnails DOR Radiator Not Available in US-100_0302.jpg   DOR Radiator Not Available in US-100_0307.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by binzd
The sensor sends the temperature of the radiator to the ECM to compare with the temperature at the thermostat. I unplugged mine and got a Pending Code of P1581 "Aux Input to Idle Control Missing". Last month, I contacted a dealer mechanic online and he was very emphatic in stating that the sensor is wired through the radiator and there is no re-soldering it in place, removing it simply destroys it. I only had a couple of minutes to play around before I had to get back to work, so it ran fine unplugged.
Wow, they designed it to be fairly tamper proof.

Well in that case, the hackaday link is the only way, you have to copy the LIN address and output information from the sensor. You can get the coolant sensor information either from the CAN bus or directly reading it from the sensor. Then just spit out the same scaled value into the LIN bus. I have the tools at work to read CAN and LIN, but don't have a whole lot of time. I also live in one of the free states in america, so i don't have a DOR radiator.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM

I didn't think of it till now, but have you considered installing a computer from a non-california outlander??? They sell them online from salvage yards fairly cheap. I'm just not sure how different the wiring from california models are. I can't imagine too different.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:02 PM

That was a thought, but i've recently gotten word that replacement radiators are on there way and should arrive shortly. I ended up dropping in aftermarket radiator and dealing with the CEL (car drives fine). When the new radiators come in I will have the dealership swap it out under warranty. Hopefully this will all happen before registration is up and the vehicle needs to be smogged.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 PM

My radiator sprung a leak today and I found out about this. They are saying the end of July. Like I can just go without a car for two months. This is screaming class-action if you ask me. My mechanic friends were perplexed when I told them about this. No one has heard of a company just being out of a wearable part.

I loved my Outback....until today.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Maybe ask one in one of the ETACS threads whether or not its as simple as changing a setting in the ECU to disable this check.
If the part is so specific to one state and so hard to get right now, its going to be impossible in the next 10 years.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by binzd
Reassembled the whole front end, filled the system with water and drove to the dealer, stopping every couple of miles to to off the water. Was losing about 1/4 gallon at each refill.

The housing on the passenger side tank is indeed cracked (like I told them it was) and the whole thing is covered under warranty.

Fact is: They still have no idea how long until a replacement arrives.

So now I go on to dealing with Mitsubishi North America Customer Service

PS: I have a new thermostat and gasket, ready to put in with all the new hoses, new clamps, new filler neck and new cap
Have you found any solution to this problem? My radiator just went out on my Outlander and to say I was shocked to discover this issue is an understatement. Now my car is sitting in a mechanics lot gathering dust with no hope of getting it repaired any time soon.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by nismoRB
That was a thought, but i've recently gotten word that replacement radiators are on there way and should arrive shortly. I ended up dropping in aftermarket radiator and dealing with the CEL (car drives fine). When the new radiators come in I will have the dealership swap it out under warranty. Hopefully this will all happen before registration is up and the vehicle needs to be smogged.
Where did you get the information that "radiators will arrive shortly"? My radiator went out June 18 and my mechanic is still saying that there is no hope of getting one anytime soon. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Quick Reply: DOR Radiator Not Available in US