Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DOR Radiator Not Available in US

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM

I wonder if you set the engine type on etacs or MUTIII to something non-california, if perhaps the software won't look for the sensor. Might be worth a try, set the engine type, then unplug the sensor.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I wonder if you set the engine type on etacs or MUTIII to something non-california, if perhaps the software won't look for the sensor. Might be worth a try, set the engine type, then unplug the sensor.
I don't have a way to try that, but I did ask the mechanic about that and he said it was a bad idea. All I know is that the way I did it worked and it required no special tools really and cost nearly $0

After doing my modification, the ECM is happy and has no engine codes months after performing it

Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM

Thank you for the update, that was going to be my next step if the customer service people hadn't honored my warranty. But I will definitely go this route next time, just for expediency.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Default Check engine code P1541 (Another Hack)

Similar to the work-around by tvguy2005, I replaced my factory radiator with an aftermarket and hacked the existing sensor. I extracted the sensor, shorted the probe thongs, and then re-soldered the probes back to the tamper resistant teeth inside the sensor thus closing the circuit loop. I had to cut out a section of the sensor housing to expose the contacts. The difference here is that my shortened probes are almost flushed to the sensor and do not go through the new radiator fins. After resealing the sensor, I simply glued the side of the sensor to the plastic housing of the fan shroud so that it will still be heated up by the radiator indirectly. So far it's been over 200 miles and no more check engine light. If I had to replace the radiator again, it will be a simple swap without touching the sensor. I was really pissed to learn that Mitsubishi forces customers to buy a $700 radiator instead of a $150 aftermarket replacement. I call that automotive extortion. Attached is the picture of my hacked sensor.

Attached Thumbnails DOR Radiator Not Available in US-radiator-sensor.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Has anyone simply tried jumping the three wires together?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Default Two Acronyms

Originally Posted by nvguy67
Has anyone simply tried jumping the three wires together?
CAN-BUS

automotive wiring is not so simple these days, almost every component has some kind of circuitry that is reporting coded values to the ECM

Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM

I called the dealership and they can order me a replacement radiator and install for a grand. I live in Nevada and it is not even one of the states that require this radiator and sensor. I replaced my radiator with a standard one before knowing about this sensor and now do not have one to modify. Dealer says you can't buy the sensor by itself. What can I do now?

Old 10-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Default sorry

I gave mine up since the dealer did the swap for me. Call junk yards in So Cal and hope someone has a wrecked outlander?

Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Default I need help with this trouble code P1541

Originally Posted by puwit321
Similar to the work-around by tvguy2005, I replaced my factory radiator with an aftermarket and hacked the existing sensor. I extracted the sensor, shorted the probe thongs, and then re-soldered the probes back to the tamper resistant teeth inside the sensor thus closing the circuit loop. I had to cut out a section of the sensor housing to expose the contacts. The difference here is that my shortened probes are almost flushed to the sensor and do not go through the new radiator fins. After resealing the sensor, I simply glued the side of the sensor to the plastic housing of the fan shroud so that it will still be heated up by the radiator indirectly. So far it's been over 200 miles and no more check engine light. If I had to replace the radiator again, it will be a simple swap without touching the sensor. I was really pissed to learn that Mitsubishi forces customers to buy a $700 radiator instead of a $150 aftermarket replacement. I call that automotive extortion. Attached is the picture of my hacked sensor.

I'm willing to try this hack out but I'm not to sure on how to do it is there anyway you could show me step by step on how to do this hack. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 AM

Puwit321( or anyone) can you provide more info and step by step for your hack...I too am stuck with this issue. Also, any step by step for radiator removal would be appreciated ...
thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: DOR Radiator Not Available in US