Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Loud radiator fan anytime AC on

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Default Loud radiator fan anytime AC on

Hello All,

I have an issue where the radiator fan is coming on immediately when the air condition is turned on. Its fairly noisy each time and with summer coming around it will be on most of the time I'm driving around. Is it normal for the fan to be on high? Or is there even a different speed it should be running? It seems unnecessary as the car is cool after being parked all night.

I was reading some other forums but I don't think they had my exact problem. Could it be on the fan control module? or coolant temperature sensor, or is this just another SNAFU?

2007 Outlander XLS

Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 PM

It shouldn't even be that annoyingly loud when it's supposed to run. Something else is wrong if it's louder than your engine while you're sitting in the drivers seat with your windows down.

I don't ever notice my fan while i'm in the car, so i really couldn't tell you how it supposed to behave.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Well here is a video of what it sounds like. Keep in mind this was this morning when the car was cool.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 AM

That fan doesn't sound right at all. It probably should kick on when you turn on the AC to move air through the condensor, but that loud buzzing of the fan doesn't seem normal.

I'm assuming the fan is electric(my car is at home so i can't look), and if it's a dual fan setup as opposed to a single fan setup. It may be possible to unplug 1 fan at a time and see if one is bad, if it's a single fan you obviously can't do that.

It could also be the A/C clutch and belt rubbing, or the belt could be bad. Might be worth unplugging the fan to see if the sound still exists. Obviously not the fan is the sound is still there.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Kip

I don't think its the radiator fan. The rad fun should run on its own when the engine heats up with no AC. If that does not cause any noise then you've eliminated the fan as an issue. More likely it is the clutch on the AC compressor engaging to the belt/pulley is where your problem is which unfortunately is likely a more expensive fix.

When your AC is turned off the belt spins the compressor wheel but the compressor does not run. When you turn on the AC it immediately engages the pulley to the compressor.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kip
I don't think its the radiator fan. The rad fun should run on its own when the engine heats up with no AC. If that does not cause any noise then you've eliminated the fan as an issue. More likely it is the clutch on the AC compressor engaging to the belt/pulley is where your problem is which unfortunately is likely a more expensive fix.

When your AC is turned off the belt spins the compressor wheel but the compressor does not run. When you turn on the AC it immediately engages the pulley to the compressor.
Thanks, that's kinda what I was hoping it wasn't. I'll do some work on it this week and see what it ends up being. Thanks for all the comments.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Well I switched out the relays and found that didn't help the issue. However I did read on another forum here that if you put the AC temp control just one notch away from max cold, the fan doesn't automatically come on when the AC is turned on. So for now, we are just going to ride around with the temp control on one notch away from max AC to keep the 2nd cooling fan from coming on. The 2nd fan is what is really loud. I would imagine its probably cause by another defect that someone here previously mentioned, however to save time and money I think we can live with it for now.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:22 PM

It seems that after 2 month of production of the 2007 outlander, the part numbers for the radiator fan were updated to a revised part. Check your build date on yours, september-october of 2007 was bad. November of 2007, they revised the fan.

Also, it doesn't seem all that hard to take off, your problem might be as simple as the bolt that holds the fan blade in place has come loose, and a simple tightening is all it needs. Or the motor itself could be bad, in which scouring salvage yards is your best bet for a replacement. I don't recommend buying a 2007 to ensure you get the updated part.

There's a 2008 fan assembly for $125. Search Results

Here is a diagram with part numbers:
https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...0-%20Liter-GAS

Old 05-12-2016, 02:36 PM

My 2008 has always done this. It used to drive me nuts until I just got used to it or turn the temp control one notch from cold as mentioned from above. Only a problem if I'm in a drive-thru.