Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Random Loud Noise, Fan Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Unhappy Random Loud Noise, Fan Clutch?

Hello,
While I was on vacation. My 01 LTD Montero started making a loud noise up front. The car has 50k miles. This happened as I was driving up & down from 2k-6k elevations. It was hot and the noise appeared only driving up the mountain, not going back down. When I slowed to pull over there was another sound right before I came to a complete stop, like the car was looking for a gear then it kinda felt like it engaged then the car jumped a little. I took it to the dealer in the area, and they could not find nothing out of line. The noise sounds like a clanky metal fan. The dealer said that what I might be hearing is the fan clutch enagaging and since it was hot and the car was going up & down the mountain roads, it was trying to cool the engine? I took it back up the road again & sure enough the noise reappeared, but not going down the road. As I slowed, the 2ndr sound was that of the gears not locked and as soon as it did lock then there was a slight jump right before stopping. I'm lost as to what I should do. Should I replace the fan clutch & does it make a loud clanky noise when it does engage? I need help! Also, on the way home my engine light came on and the temp gauge went beyond the H. I changed both temp sensors on top of the engine and it still states Hot. I used a thermal gun to check the eng temp and it was no where near hot as the gauge was showing. Is there another sensor I might have missing or do I have to replace the white module board in the inst cluster.
All help will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: It appears the noise is back even on reg level surface streets. It's come on twice several weeks apart. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Replace the fan clutch. Sounds like it has gone bad and they are easy to change.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50050+2050008

59.oo at Napa

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM

I actually found a thread on this site that talks about a grinding sound then a clunk. Looks like it might be one of soleniods that control the 4WD so I do not think it is the fan clutch afterall.