Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Try checking the connector where the flexible hose from the turbo intercooler joins the inlet manifold/egr valve. It's right behind the radiator. You'll have to take the engine cover off. The hose collar pushes up into the manifold and is held in with a spring clip. I had all your symptoms and found the hose collar a fairly loose fit in the manifold so I pulled the clip, pulled out the collar and fitted a couple of rubber o rings in a groove at the top of the collar, pushed it back in...a nice snug fit..refitted the clip..make sure the hose is in tight, give it a damn good tug, cover back on and it hasn't played up since. It's a 2007 car with 90000 miles.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks for info MARTROY, I've just had the car back today after having had a new turbo fitted. I hope this has cured it now but will bear your suggestion in mind if the fault reappears ! I will do a further post in 3 weeks when back of holidays, (keeping fingers crossed !)
Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Mine's failed again sadly. I was travelling at 70...ish.... down the A30 on my way to my holiday accommodation on Saturday 7th when once again mine lost power but this time whilst in the fast lane and overtaking..... Luckilly, I got over to the side and into a parking bay. Stopped the engine and set off again. All was going well.... until 5 minutes later whilst SLOWING down and nowhere near the accellerator, I felt the engine lose power again. I stopped on the slip road I was coming off at and once again stopped the engine. I started off again and all has been OK since that incident. I have informed my dealer in Hull and will be making a visit upon my return from holiday.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Gents
Please will you try out what I mentioned in my last post, I can't promise anything but for the sake of 10 minutes work it's worth a try. A useful clue maybe , before you remove anything, look down between the rad and the engine left of centre and find some rubber pipes, is there oil or sticky oil residue on them? Put your hand in..cold switched-off engine...are the pipes sticky, is it oily? Then the coupling I'm whittering on about may be leaking and this will give fluctuating turbo pressure which causes problems.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Just back from 2 weeks holiday, car has done approx 800 miles with caravan on the hook for about 500 miles. Guess what??????...... No problems !!.... The new turbo seems to have done the trick and I'm almost certain that the car has never performed as well, plenty of grunt in the higher gears with the caravan on tow!. Whilst I was away my son has met and spoken to another outlander owner who had the same problem as us, he had a new turbo fitted 12 months ago and since then has been trouble free so I'm keeping fingers crossed that mine will be the same. Now I am having to have the steering wheel replaced as the fitters tore the leather on it when replacing the turbo, apparently the steering colum has to be removed and the front subframe dropped in order to replace turbo unit......... could that be the reason why dealers hope to cure the fault with new sesnsors etc? I wonder, ....?

Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Hi everyone, just found this forum and this thread.
I have a 2007 Uk outlander 2litre diesel, today on a day out doing no more than 60 miles, on the way home going up hill i lost loads of power and slowly made the last 5 mile home, just wondering what the other people who have had this happen are finding now? I just hope i don't need a new turbo as my warranty ran out 5 months ago.
Thanks.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Could it just be that as part of replacing the turbo, that other parts/connectors were removed and re-attached that has cured the problem, just not the turbo itself?

S.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ronwill
I am now getting really p****d off !!, A month ago my car went in and allegedly had been fixed, For the first week all was OK. Towed my caravan on a 120 mile return journey and for small journeys whilst away and it behaved itself. After standing unused for 3 weeks went for a journey in it yesterday and the fault happened twice and once again today. I have noticed that when it happens, the engine will not rev more than 2800 rpm; presumably this is what happens in 'limp mode'. It is going back to the dealers again on Tuesday ( 6th time in just under 12 months), I just hope they can fix it once and for all as I have no faith in it at all now. I have even been in touch with Mitsubishi Head office and they had no knowlege of the fault but promised to contact my dealer, I don't know what good that will do as they don't seem to be able to cure it? Where do I go next ? A scrap yard ?
Originally Posted by Tomo1971
Could it just be that as part of replacing the turbo, that other parts/connectors were removed and re-attached that has cured the problem, just not the turbo itself?

S.
My thoughts also.

You really can't fix anything by throwing parts at it, except if the dealer or mfg is doing the throwing.

Even a blind squirrell finds a nut.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 AM

Sorry for not posting earlier...

After my car went into the dealer for another assessment, they replaced the emmissions control valve and I have had no problems of any description whatsoever so if you still do have problems, ask if this item has been replaced.

Thanks
Simon

Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM

I've not had any more problems yet after the initial one 2 days ago, if it does start again i'll lokk into that, thanks.

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power