Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM

The same thing happend to me. I took the car to the dealer, and they knew exactly what is was. Its the sensor on the turbo. its a known problem on the vag motors.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 AM

I would like to inform everybody that the problem with losing power speaking of course for the outlander 4wd with the 2L. engine have not to do with sensor or turbo,.
The last 9-nine- months (I have at least 20 visits at the Mitsubishi service point and I have left the car for one week each time at least 5 times)
They replaced all the related with turbo system parts and the problem is there.
Additionally, the car start having some times white and other times black smoke coming out from the exhaust pipe, depended of the r.p.m.
This car drives me and the technicians, nuts.
I want to point out that at the end of October I sent in the Mitsubishi central offices in Europe this e-mail ( please read it) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11123823/Mit...0solution.docx.
In addition, the car is again in the garage from December 5, 2011.
I do not know what to do. The truth is that I like this car. However, I am afraid that It should I must ask them to exchange/replace it with the new one ASX hopping not having the same problems.
NOTE1: If some responsible person Mitsubishi reads this letter, I request/I beg, to do something!
NOTE2: Forgive my errors. I do not speak neither write English. I use the Word translator.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Default Solution to my power problem

My dealer replaced the Emmission Control Valve last year and I have had absolutely no problems with any part of the car since. I love my Outlander and was determined not to let this fault get the better of it!!

I hope this helps others with similar issues.

Thanks
Simon

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Dear everyone.
We have a mitsubishi outlander 2.0 elegance 2008 with 37,000 miles on the clock. We live in the UK
when accelorating from 50 mph in 6th gear with the foot hard down to the floorboard, when it reaches between 70-80 mph it gets a sudden loss of power.
if you stop and restanrt the engine, it resolves the problem and for normal driving is ok. every time you repeat the above, it has this loss of power.
ocasionally we get the engine warning light come on after it has happened.
I have also tried entering a steep long hill at 40mph in 5th gear, foot down to the floorboards, by the time i get to the top of the long steep hill, i have reached 60mph but do not but the problem does not reoccur.
the local Mitsubishi dealership put it on the diagnostic machine and it put out; turbo over-boost (code p0234)
the garage have renewed the turbo over boost sensor, turbo gate valve and have tested all the vacuum pipes. they now tell us that the only thing left is the turbo.
another Mitsubishi dealer has told me it they are 110% sure it wont be the turbo because they have never had any turbo problems with this model.

the car is 1 year out of warranty and the new turbo would cost me £2500.

I am desperately looking for a solution as to what it could be as i am not convinced it is the turbo.

has anyone else had this problem and how have you fixed it?

Thank you
Dennis

Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Angry re loss of power

Sorry to have to tell you this but since having a new turbo fitted mine has been trouble free, luckily I had purchased Mitsubishi's extended warranty

Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 AM

I have only had 1 incident since mine was 'fixed' last year so I'm hoping it was just a 'blip'....

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by koraspan
I would like to inform everybody that the problem with losing power speaking of course for the outlander 4wd with the 2L. engine have not to do with sensor or turbo,.
The last 9-nine- months (I have at least 20 visits at the Mitsubishi service point and I have left the car for one week each time at least 5 times)
They replaced all the related with turbo system parts and the problem is there.
Additionally, the car start having some times white and other times black smoke coming out from the exhaust pipe, depended of the r.p.m.
This car drives me and the technicians, nuts.
I want to point out that at the end of October I sent in the Mitsubishi central offices in Europe this e-mail ( please read it) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11123823/Mit...0solution.docx.
In addition, the car is again in the garage from December 5, 2011.
I do not know what to do. The truth is that I like this car. However, I am afraid that It should I must ask them to exchange/replace it with the new one ASX hopping not having the same problems.
NOTE1: If some responsible person Mitsubishi reads this letter, I request/I beg, to do something!
NOTE2: Forgive my errors. I do not speak neither write English. I use the Word translator.

Please klet us know of the outcome.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM

This is an interesting thread and I wish I'd come across it sooner

Our family MPV ('56 plate Mitsubishi Grandis Warrior 2.0 D-ID) started to show these exact symptoms on the M4, whilst driving at 70mph. It had around 110,000 miles on the clock at that point.

After losing power (it seemed to gradually creep down to about 40mph) I pulled over in the service station and spent 10 minutes or so checking everything under the bonnet, all seemed ok so I re-started the engine and it worked fine.

This happened on several ocassions. Eventually there was a very noticeable loss of power and no boost, so I took it to a local Mitsubishi dealership. They quoted for a new air flow meter? I didn't think that the problem lay with the air flow meter so I took it away in order to carry out my own investigation. After a quick look underneath it became apparent that the turbo oulet hose had blown off the turbo (there was quite a bit of oil splattered around the area). I re-attached the hose and all semed fine for the rest of the day.

The next day we got about 10 miles down the M4 and tapping started coming from the engine followed about 10 seconds later (as I was pulling onto the hard shoulder) by a loud bang as the engine threw a rod threw the side of the block!

Result - one dead Grandis engine

I'm pretty certain that it's all related, maybe the boost over pressure that blow the oulet hose off also blew an oil feeder hose off (or similar??), either way the engine was destroyed as a result.

So now sourcing a new engine, but of course Grandis engines are hard to come by for less than £2000 secondhand.
So I've resorted to looking into compatability with Mk5 TDI/VW Touran TDI/Seat Leon/Passat/Lancer Saloon engines etc

Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 AM

Hi all i`m new to this and i am having a lot of trouble in My 2008 4wd outlander
loss of power when driving and the Dealer could not finad any fault when restarting only when it goes down never when you arrive at the dealership. anothr Mechanic trying to source the problem but stuck again, Now Saying the problem is needing a new Turbo but un sure as no fault showing up on any system checks. need ideas to help.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Update on mine... After happening twice we were told we needed a new egr valve, the engine light came straight back on after this was fitted but the car seemed fine, this year the problem has happened twice again so last week i took the car to a garage. not a Mitsubishi one as i don't trust them, they put it on the machine and said i need a new air flow control flap. I've not had this fitted yet but might be worth a go?......

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power