Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Question outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Yesterday whilst travelling at about 70 mph my car had a sudden loss of power... it slowed right down on hills, had no acceleration to talk about on the level, but picked up speed gradually . This lasted for about 20 miles until I got to my destination. After a few minutes I restarted the engine and it has been fine ever since,
The symptoms seemed to indicate that the turbo pipe had blown off ( as mine did on the first day of ownership 2 years ago) or of some other form of turbo failure. Has anyone else suffered from similar symptoms or have any ideas as to what problem might be?
I have a 700 mile trip next weekend and dont want the same thing to happen then.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Ron

Old 06-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Did you get the CEL light on at all, if you did then a fault would be logged and a trip to the dealer would indicate what the problem was.

If you didn't have any warning lights come on then it could be harder to trace the fault, it sounds like it could of switched to a limp home mode which cleared once you restarted the engine.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by lozcart
Did you get the CEL light on at all, if you did then a fault would be logged and a trip to the dealer would indicate what the problem was.

If you didn't have any warning lights come on then it could be harder to trace the fault, it sounds like it could of switched to a limp home mode which cleared once you restarted the engine.
Thanks, I did not see any warning lights, where exactly is the 'CEL' light when lit?
---Pardon my ignorance !!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 AM

The Check Engine Light (CEL) is a yellow engine shaped light within the main cluster of the dashboard. You will see it come on for a brief moment when you start the engine, it will then go off once the engine management system has run through it's checks. If it comes one while driving it means the management system has received an error Reading from a sensor and this error would be logged within it's memory.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks for that LOZCART, Not seen that come on whilst driving, I'll just have to see what develops !
Thanks again

Old 06-28-2009, 02:00 PM

(deleted)

Last edited by BrokeDad; 07-01-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM

I had the same on the 2.2. I also had the warning light on for 2 days. Then it wanished. (The problem was gone after a quick restart.)

I had the error codes checked at the shop, it was TC overpressure and EGR valve setting.
The mechanics checked the pipes, but there was no problem at all. I suggested that it could be an electrical glitch in the system.

No problem at all since.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Same thing happened again today........ switched engine off then upon restart all was ok. Still no warning light lit. Going into dealers for check up and fault code check tomorrow. Will keep anyone interested updated with result. I agree that it is probably an electrical/ software fault. Just keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't pack in altogether !!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Default Update

Called at my dealers today, they checked for faults and it revealed that the turbo overboost pressure sensor ( or something sounding like that ! ) is faulty, This causes car to go into limp mode until engine restarts. They have had 3 similar faults with other cars in last 2 weeks ??? hot Weather????

New sensor ordered & will be fitted on my return after weekend,, fingers crossed till then !!!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM

That's good that they actually found a fault, not the normal "couldn't replicate the problem" that many dealers come up with.

Hope its fixed soon and everything is back to normal for you.

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power