Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Hi,
I have just had exactly the same problem as ronwill above today, doing 70mph, loss of power etc.. limped 10 miles home with no turbo, started engine 10 mins later and was back to normal. Only had the car 3 weeks!.
Its a Warrior 2 litre Diesel.
No warning lights came on at all.
Do you know if it logged a fault for the sensor problem?
Still under 3 years manufacturers warrentee, i assume this would be covered.

will the garage try the old ' no fault logged so seems fine now' one?

is this a common problem with thse cars (i bought it for its reliablility!!!)

Thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Ok Then.
Car went into main dealer, they said they replaced the faulty Turbo overboost pressure sensor.
Car ran fine for about 150miles, although did not take on motorway.
last night went on motorway, 6th gear up a hill at 70mph, foot flat down and turbo cut out again, starting and stopping the engine when i could pull off motorway fixed the problem.,
Mitsubishi assist came out last night, said there was no fault logged, (as the engine light did not come on).

This sounds like something else, and if no fault is being logged how is the ecu cutting off the turbo?

any ideas would be greatly welcome, as i am beginning to think ive bought a turkey. (car is only 2 years old with 10,000miles on clock)

help..

Last edited by P88dge; 12-28-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM

I have a 2007 2L Outlander Elegance and I have now had 2 instances of power loss. Both have been resolved by leaving the car for 10 minutes then restarting and all is OK. Surely this can't be right though can it?

Both instances were when car was started from cold and pushed soon after. I have had no warning light or loose pipe issues. I will make more posts if I find anything out!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Angry re loss of turbo power

Hi, I'm the originator of this thread, sorry to say but I am still getting this problem intermittently,going on for 2 1/2 years now just had the pressure sensor solenoid replaced for the second time ( now under extended warranty), car has done 24500 miles now.The fault will rectify itself as soon as you restart engine... - no need to wait 10 minutes!
Off for a short break with the caravan tomorrow so will have to see what happens as the fault normally appears when I am towing. Will give an update when I return. As it is a Volkswagen engine I am wondering do any VW cars suffer from the same fault?
I have done a search but so far got nowhere,
I think its time tht Mitsubishi sorted this out as it could potentially result in an accident if it happens whilst overtaking etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the update. I tried mine the first time with a shutdown then restart and mine wasn't playing ball. After about 10 mins it was OK. It happened to me again yesterday whilst on my way to my fathers house to pick him up to go to a BTCC meeting at Croft. Luckily we took the spare car - his - so it wasn't too much of a problem. My problem only happens when you ask it to work when cold also. Booked into my local dealer next Monday so we will see what happens.......

Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM

had my outlander for 5 months, had loss of power 6 times, 4 times mitusbishi assist came out, 4 times went into main dealer, noone could diagnose the problem, the main dealer shrugged their shoulders and said they couldnt force the problem. (as it was generally ok after a on/off)

they replaced many parts (sensors etc), nothing made a difference. I eventually got my money back from the garage that sold it to me (with no hassle at all)

looked at some VW forums for passats with same engine, this does happen but only really on cars with 100,000miles plus.

some turbo experts say it is something to do with pressure differential from inlet and outlet, if it gets slightly too much it cuts out the turbo, but they cant explain why it doesnt log a fault on the computer.

Needless to say i will never be buying another outlander again.

what a shame a good car is let down by ''expert'' dealers not knowing about VW engines at all.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 AM

Here's the update as promised.

The car went into my local dealer this morning and they have traced the fault to the "Emmission Control Vacuum Pack". They have ordered the 'bit' so I will let you know if there's any problems in future

Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Angry re turbo problem

I am now getting really p****d off !!, A month ago my car went in and allegedly had been fixed, For the first week all was OK. Towed my caravan on a 120 mile return journey and for small journeys whilst away and it behaved itself. After standing unused for 3 weeks went for a journey in it yesterday and the fault happened twice and once again today. I have noticed that when it happens, the engine will not rev more than 2800 rpm; presumably this is what happens in 'limp mode'. It is going back to the dealers again on Tuesday ( 6th time in just under 12 months), I just hope they can fix it once and for all as I have no faith in it at all now. I have even been in touch with Mitsubishi Head office and they had no knowlege of the fault but promised to contact my dealer, I don't know what good that will do as they don't seem to be able to cure it? Where do I go next ? A scrap yard ?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 AM

You really do seem to have a bad 'un

I had the Emissions control pack replaced on my car by my dealer on 14th July and so far my car is OK. Saying that, I only had the problem twice is a couple of years so only time will tell.

Have you tried trading standards with your problem?

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Thumbs up

Latest news,;
The car has been back to the dealer again and they have now had authority from the warranty people to fit a new Turbo unit, this will be done next Monday, just hope this fixes the problem,............ glad I took out an extended warranty..!!

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power