Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by NorAce
Hi All,

Just a quick point to make about limp mode, I bought my 2008 outlander warrior about two years ago. Initially all was good until we got onto the motorway and we experienced limp mode for the first time. We got it checked as you do and the garage found the usual turbo over boost type faults etc.

To cut a long story short, check the intake for the air filter right at the front under the bonnet (it's a black piece of plastic that protects the bonnet lock and frame but also provides a hole for air to flow into the air filter intake tube.

I found that on my outlander this hole was on the wrong side and therefore the turbo would choke at high speeds due to a lack of sufficient air flow causing the limp mode.

I simply cut a new hole to allow air flow and I've never had a problem since! It's seems 'too easy' a fix I know, but it's an easy thing to miss if the car runs fine at lower speeds which mine did!

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Hi yes I have noticed what you have said, I have been getting the same problem seems like the engine is strangled of power even though I have cleaned the turbo, I will try this and see what happens got to be a good thing.
Thank you for your information

Old 09-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I bought a 58 plate outlander about 8 months ago and experienced similar symptoms. Occasional limp mode, only in hot weather though and only accelerating, and a bit of hesitation during normal driving. But after going into limp mode switching off, waiting only a couple mins and switching back on again seemed to work every time. Although it hadn't gone into limp mode for a while the acceleration still felt laboured, even after a full service and being given the all clear and appearing to run perfectly with no error codes. And it was still hesitating slightly under acceleration.
So I narrowed it down to intake if air as everything else seemed perfect (as it can be on a 58 plate vehicle in 2020) .
What I found appeared to be a factory cockup that I'm attributing to the switch over from left to right hand drive for UK vehicles that massively impeded airflow into the engine.
If you take the plastic front grille off, 4 plastic push fittings, and look at the plastic housing behind it that goes from left to right ,across what would be the air intake on European models on the left side, covering the bonnet catch in the centre, then across to the left where our UK intakes are housed. You'll notice that both sides are the same apart from the fact that the side where the euro intake would be is vented but the side that our intake is has no vents in the plastic, thus basically making an air free box around the air intake once the bonnet is down. I housed this piece of plastic out, reset the ECU, and have been running it for the last two weeks feeling like a totally different vehicle. No hesitation at all, you can feel how much more easily the engine is breathing with crisper throttle response.
As I said, I think this may well have been an oversight on the part of the manufacturers and this simple modification with a multitool has totally solved my problem and improved the vehicles performance.
Hope this may be of help to some.
Cheers.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:04 AM

Hi Tom, everyone on here if anyone is still checking up on this. I won't bore you with my experience suffice to say I have a 2.2 DiD 2009 Outlander with the same problem and I can definitely rule out any issue concerning the weather temperature, specifically heat. I live in the Czech Republic and have suffered this problem once or twice before most recently this weekend when the winter temperature was -4. Regarding Tom's point, my car is a left hander so I'm not expecting to be able to fix it that way however I will take a look at it and let you know. Oh and when it previously happened we changed the EGR so unless that part has a shelf life of only a year and a half then then I doubt it's that. All said this is my plan to tackle the issue and try to resolve it once and for all, literally for all! Not being a mechanic or anything close I'll start with:

1. Simplest problem to fix and sounds like the issue regarding the clips near the turbo intake.
2. Buy Miller's additive to clean carbon from turbo.
3. Replace MAP (although I'm still unsure if this is the same thing as the Turbo Boost Sensor, can someone clarify that please?)
4. Last resort remove and clean inside of turbo a la our friend who talked about vanes. (Lazarus?)

Did I miss anything? Thanks again everyone for a thoroughly engrossing read by the way :-)

BTW my error codes are P0087, P0093, P1351, P3003 Here are links to each of those, if anyone could explain to me in English English what they deduce from it that would fill my heart with immense joy :-) Many thanks again.
http://p0087.enginefaultcode.com/
http://p0093.enginefaultcode.com/
http://p1351.enginefaultcode.com/
http://p3003.enginefaultcode.com/

Last edited by Richard Hill; 02-02-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:56 PM

coool

Last edited by Sasaki; 03-20-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 PM
Default 2.0 did BSY engine

Hi
I was fighting with low power boost error , and limp mode. Went to several workshops. Change vacuum lines , vacuum valves, egr, recirculation valve. Spend ton of money and still car went to limp mode very often.
So I bought obd scanner with display , and I checked live data when driving. Map sensor data was quite high 80-90 , and just changing between this values. I made a shot and changed map sensor. No errors car driving perfectly. I just want to mention that there was no error code for MAP sensor. It was giving wrong values. So I spend around 800 usd in workshops, and I was close to replacing turbo. I know it is old car , but maybe someone find it helpful.
I am sorry form my English but it is not my native language.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Under boost problems

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander and it has just started this problem. I've had a new turbo fitted and a new pipe from the intercooler. It is showing up the under boost code. I've checked all the pipes and nothing seems to be lose or split. The engine management light is on. Has anyone ever really fixed this problem. It's had a new air filter and a full service. Ive done nearly everything I've read on the forum. I really need some help.
Fault code is p0299

Last edited by Supernumber4; 06-28-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:32 PM

@ supernumber4 have you managed to figure out the issue. I was having an overboost issue fault code p0234. Had the water pump, tuming belt and a new turbo fitted, now the car is reallllly slow in picking up speed in all gears. I hit 45/50 mph and the car goes in to limp mode. I had faster acceleration when it was an overboost issue. Now it has a underboost issue.

Any idea what the issue is?

Old 09-25-2021, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2009outlander
@ supernumber4 have you managed to figure out the issue. I was having an overboost issue fault code p0234. Had the water pump, tuming belt and a new turbo fitted, now the car is reallllly slow in picking up speed in all gears. I hit 45/50 mph and the car goes in to limp mode. I had faster acceleration when it was an overboost issue. Now it has a underboost issue.

A Local garage has had the car for over a month. They have no idea what is wrong with it. So I'm still in the same position. Think they have nearly changed everything. I'm sure it's more electrical than mechanical. ????

Old 09-25-2021, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2009outlander

A Local garage has had the car for over a month. They have no idea what is wrong with it. So I'm still in the same position. Think they have nearly changed everything. I'm sure it's more electrical than mechanical. ????

Old 09-25-2021, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Supernumber4
Have you thwhad the map/boost pressure sensor changed l, I may try that and if that doesn't work I'm not going to spend anymore on it. I think it's time for us to part ways with these money pits!

Quick Reply: outlander 2.0 turbo diesel engine ---loss of power