Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Default Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?

I want to replace my head unit with either a single or 2 din unit because I have the option of getting some pretty decent units for $50.

I already took the head unit out once to try to hook up an AUX cable to it (got mostly static) and that wasn't too hard.

My question is whether I would have problems with the wiring, getting it to work would definitely be good, and if possible I would want the steering wheel controls (at least vol control) to work, but if it doesn't its no big deal.

This is a product screenshot of the rear.

EDIT: I also followed this guide to take it off with a couple of deviations
http://www.carelectronicsblog.com/ho...-audio-system/

Attached Thumbnails Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-capture.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 AM

It's easy if you buy the wiring kit. I replaced the head unit in my RVR, unfortunately shortly before trading it in for the Outlander. I bought this wiring kit for Mitsu's '07+:

Metra 70-7005 Wire Harness for Mitsubishi 07-up at Crutchfield.ca

just solder and tape the color coded wires and it plugs directly into the existing wiring. Everything worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-0_img_20161230_141200611.jpg   Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-0_img_20161230_192658963.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:58 PM

I am trying to upgrade the OEM Infinity stereo in my daughter's '03 Outlander to a double din unit with bluetooth and SD card capabilities. I first tried with a single din Pioneer unit. In both cases I "thought" I had everything correct, but I get no sound.

Very frustrating, looking for any sort of help. I've tried a straight harness where I just matched up all the wires, and I also tried a metra harness that had the "plug" or whatever that is called. Either way, I am clearly doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Bennett
I am trying to upgrade the OEM Infinity stereo in my daughter's '03 Outlander to a double din unit with bluetooth and SD card capabilities. I first tried with a single din Pioneer unit. In both cases I "thought" I had everything correct, but I get no sound.

Very frustrating, looking for any sort of help. I've tried a straight harness where I just matched up all the wires, and I also tried a metra harness that had the "plug" or whatever that is called. Either way, I am clearly doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.
​​​​​​
hmm...so unit powers on just no sound? No radio sound? Did you plug in antenna? It's got to be something simple if both units do the same thing, as well with harness or factory wiring.

The metra harness is the way to go, leave factory wiring​ intact if you can. I know some of the speaker wire color matches weren't exact ie turquoise to green etc.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 PM

Yep, both units powered on fine, just no sound. And yes, I plugged in the antenna. Would that keep there from being any sound at all anyway? Wouldn't that just be static?

(I wish I thought to take some pictures before shutting down for the day.)

Finally, if I put the original unit back in, everything works great. :/

Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM

A couple of good links:

http://www.caraudioforumz.com/install-related-17/installed-cd-stereo-no-sound-power-fine-259827/page2/

2carpros.com/questions/my-aftermarket-radio-works-but-doesnt-send-sound

Sounds like something to do with either a factory amp or power antenna hook up/wire.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Maybe this will help somewhat.

I have both of these wiring harnesses.

#1 - The one in the middle with all the wires
#2 - The one with only 4 wires and the plug

Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-step1.jpg

And this is the back of the double din radio:

Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-20170331_182126.jpg

Here's a better picture I found online:

Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-71bg7tkw0ul.jpg

If I use the regular harness with all the wires and attach it to the harness that comes with the unit, shown here, shouldn't that work?

Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-%24_12.jpg

And if I use the two piece Metra unit, would the colored plugs go anywhere other than the obvious?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:39 PM

Thanks very much!

One of the links you posted didn't work, but the other leads me to believe that the blue/white wire coming out of the plug may be the culprit. Where exactly should that be attached?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 PM

Hmm, the pictures are fuzzy on my phone. Yes i would always suggest using the aftermarket harness.

Both links mentioned issues when either the amp remote or antenna remote wires weren't connected. Here's a screen shot.
​​​​​​​

Attached Thumbnails Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?-screenshot_20170331-184131.png  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM

Ok, pics work on the non mobile site. I don't know what the 4 wire harness is for or the "rca" type ones in the pic. Really it should just be the two big harnesses​ color wired together, then a mic plug for the Bluetooth, the antenna and thats it to the back of the unit. For a basic install anyways.

Quick Reply: Outlander 2007 - Replacing stereo, can't be that easy right?