Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Valve Cover Oil Leak. How much to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Default Valve Cover Oil Leak. How much to fix?

Hi all:

My '03 AWD Outlander XLS (69,000 miles) seems to have a very small oil leak from the valve cover. When I took it to the dealer last week for another problem (to check out my crappy fuel economy), he pointed out that there was some oil leaking. It looked like it started from the oil reservoir cap and just spilled (I thought perhaps from an earlier oil change). Well, he said it may just be a bad cap, so I had the cap replaced ($13 only) and the engine wiped of clean so that I can see if there is indeed a leak. Well, I looked at it the last couple of days and it seems that the seam where the cover and the engine block meet has some oil in it (very slight, but it is there and getting slightly more each day).

So, I guess that I do have a leak. Any ideas what a repair would cost? I'm assuming it's just to remove and replace the gasket. A couple hundred bucks?? Also, while the cover is off, should I have the mechanic check anything else in there? Anything that may be contributing to my poor fuel economy (18 mpg with my feather foot)?

BTW, it has been in the negative Farenheits here in Minnesota the last couple of days and my fuel economy has gotten even worse. The low fuel warning light came on at around 200 miles (about 16 mph - that is in the Montero range!!!!!!!!!) - aaargh!!

I love my Outlander - the drive quality/handling, the cargo space, the looks, even the color (dark blue), heck, I sometimes just find a reason to drive so I can drive the thing, but geez, these issues are starting to bother me - never had a problem with my former Honda (110,000 with no issues what-so-ever until I sold it). I want to keep this thing until at least 2008.

Thanks!

- TinkerMan

Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Valve Cover Oil Leak. How much to fix?

nah it wont cost that much, there are tons of cars that use the same engine as the outlander. so you should be able pick up a new valve cover gasket with out a problem. just ask for a gasket for a 99 eclipse rs convertible, that should be a 2.4 and it should be readily available.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

Its not even that big of a deal. All valve covers will have a little leak under high stress.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:55 PM

Change the gasket yourself. Doing a quick search online, racepages.com has them for $15.81. Total including shipping is just over $21. Local parts supplier should have them also. Quick and easy, just don't over torque it and you're good to go.