Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Winter tire question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Default Winter tire question

Hey all,

Pretty stupid question, but since the winter tires and rims I use have different lug nuts, do you still torque them at ~80 ft lbs as you would the regular rims with the original lug nuts?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM

good question actually....

I think tourque is based on whell weight and requirements. So it would be according to the winter rim specs i would think...not positive...good question.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
good question actually....

I think tourque is based on whell weight and requirements. So it would be according to the winter rim specs i would think...not positive...good question.

The guys at the tire shop said that torquing the steel winter rims to the same as the alloy ones for the rest of the year will be fine, even though they are a different type of lugnut and obviously on steel rims, not alloys....

So I put them at 80 ft lbs..just like I do for the alloys.

However, I did notice one of my winters is 2-3/32 lower than the other 3 tires!!! They suggested putting that on the rear and not using the 4wd very often...Bloody hell. He said that if left in 4wd it would wear out the differential. ugh

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM

Look in your manual and see what it says about tire circumfrence. There is a paragraph on it but I forget what the spec is.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Look in your manual and see what it says about tire circumfrence. There is a paragraph on it but I forget what the spec is.
In the manual, all it says is not to run different sized tires. It doesn't give a "threshold" about the maximum tire circumference difference.

Measuring it it seemed about 1/3 of an inch difference in CIRCUMFERENCE.

I know Subaru states it cant be more than 1/4" for their AWD system..but mitsu doesn't state any specs...

I called a few dealers and they said it would be fine, but I am not really sure what they are basing that on since no one could point me in the direction of any written figures....

Thoughts?