Mitsubishi Raider The sybling truck to the Dodge Dakota, this sporty pickup combines versatility with economy.

2008 Raider issues - O2 sensor - plz read/help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Default 2008 Raider issues - O2 sensor - plz read/help...

i have a 2008 raider LS double cab 4x2 - V6, auto. currently has 16,558 miles on it. i do not drive it that much as you can see... only for home to school and home to shopping, etc... i regularly maintain it. reg oil changes done every 2,500-3,000 miles. i wash it about twice a month if not 3 times a month.

posting because i had my last oil change done about 1 month ago. i usually take it to the dealer, but the last couple times i took it to Midas (which was inside a Kmart). The first time i took it there for an oil change, i was very pleased w/ their work and honesty, so naturally i took it back there the 2nd time.

well ever since i took it back there (which would of been about 1 month ago), a light has been popping on and off on my panel. it looks like the transmission light.. (doesn't say check engine or anything, just a light pops on - it's orange)... anywho, i took it to an Autozone for diagnostic test. The man at Autozone told me that it was the O2 sensor and when he got under it, he said that it looked loose.

I know that i am covered under warranty for this part. So i called up my dealer and they told me that they would have to charge me a $95 diagnostic fee and then $300 for parts and labor. I told them it had already been diagnosed... but they seemed to ignore what i was saying. I also told them that I am covered under warranty still. but apparently that floated by their heads too. So i called up Mitsubishi's Corporate office. Mits. Corporate told me that yes i am covered under warranty, as is the O2 sensor, and that they shouldn't be charging me a diagnostic fee nor a fee for the O2 sensor and parts and labor since i am under warranty. corporate told me that when i take it in, if they try to charge me, for me to give corporate a call so that corporate can tell them what they are doing is wrong.

it also states in my manual that the O2 sensor is covered under warranty.

now here's the other thing. mits. dealer (service dept.) told me first, that the O2 sensor never goes bad on Raiders and that i must of done something to it or it was like something from the road that knocked it loose or something... no offense to any females out there reading this, but i am a female, i'm not very mechanically inclined.. i do know how to do the basic stuff, change a flat tire, etc... i have no mechanical knowledge to get under it and intentionally mess the thing up. i don't know how to mod my vehicle (wish i did.. cuz i do want to mod it), i don't trick my vehicles out, etc.. i have no clue when it comes to stuff like that... there's absolutely no way i could have messed with this thing. i don't even know where the O2 sensor is or what it looks like.

Anywho, dealer told me that O2 sensors never go bad... but then later on he stated in my 2nd call to him, that if the car had like 60k+ miles on it, that the O2 sensor could go bad. Mits. corporate tells me that the O2 sensor never goes bad.

So i got this light popping on/off every so often. sometimes it will be off for 2 days and then pop on the next day and be on for about 2-5 days. then it will go off and stay off for a few days before coming on again. The longest it ever stayed off was for 1 whole week. I had had my truck steam cleaned and the light didn't pop on for 1 whole week. (I had my truck steam cleaned 2 weeks ago). I took it to the car wash this past week and got it washed, and underbody washed... and note, my light was off... after i was finished w/ the wash (delta sonic - i didn't wash it myself like i usually do), my light pops back on.

Wondering if anyone has had any problems w/ their O2 sensor and also any problems getting it replaced while under warranty, cuz the dealer wants to charge me even though i am under warranty, and corporate is telling me i am covered and i shouldn't be charged.

the other issue with my truck is that when i park it (in my driveway or in parking spot, etc), as soon as i turn it off, sometimes it rolls forward a lil bit before it stops. when i do park my truck, i don't use my emergency brake after i turn it off, so i am wondering if it's cuz i don't use my e-brake... but i am told by other drivers that it shouldn't roll forward like that whether you use the e-brake or not. it doesn't roll forward every time i shut off the car and park it.. only does it every now and then.

i remember my dad used to own a 2000 galant, and whenever he parked his car (and he uses his e-brake), his car used to roll back when he shut it off... (w/ or w/o him using the e-brake). he no longer owns a mitsubishi anymore. he went to a chevy cobalt. i am thinking about going to a chevy colorado cuz of it having OnStar.

but has anyone had these problems i listed above. i hope you read the post. i know it is a long one, but i appreciate any replies. i am going to leave my email address: SPCKryptonite@gmail.com

Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM

O2 sensors can go bad (they can foul out from a vehicle running rich) but with that little mileage, i doubt that its bad, anyways if its under warranty there is NO CHARGE for diagnostics or parts and labor (work for a Chevy dealership) if they do charge keep your receipt and be sure to know the first and last name of your service writer who wrote the repair order for your truck and give Ms. corporate a call. also the whole parking thing, its normal for all automatics to move forward or backward when put into park, turned off and foot let off the brake. They always move a little on any incline up or down hill. Just use your e-brake if it bothers you that much and it shouldn't move after that. hope this helped

Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM

thx for the reply kaiser. glad someone still checks this forum. didn't think anyone was going to reply back, but thank you very much. i will def take note of the person's name if it happens.

had another question... if my light is not on - will they still be able to diagnose it?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM

The code may still be in the computer for them to check im not entirely sure on that though, i THINK if an issue happened to trigger the light then doesn't show up after so many cycles the computer assumes the problem as being fixed, not entirely sure on that though.