PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

No Power to Fuel Pump-history of situation included

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Exclamation No Power to Fuel Pump-history of situation included

I hope someone here can help as this problem has been going on for 6months and my car still wont start.

I have a 2000 Galant, 4cyl.

Current problem: Car cranks fine, but wont start; no fuel.

Latest fix: replaced fuel pump with new one, relays appear good. Had another mechanic do some quick tests (spark plugs are getting fire and the injectors are cycling, just no fuel present)

When I turn the key to "On" the pump doesn't come one, nor does it with key in "Start".

History of situation leading up to this point:

Last Dec I got the car and it ran fine for 29 days. After that it started shutting off while driving (all power was there but the motor just shut down). This started getting worse and worse over the next few weeks. It would start right back up if I stopped put the car in park and started it up as normal, then would shut off again a few miles later or even a few seconds later. Allthewhile no codes were generated by the computer. I talked to a Misubishi mechanic and was told it was probably caused by a faulty crankshaft sensor. I replaced the sensor and put a new timing belt on too since I was there anyways. I cleaned the throttlebody also. The car ran fine for 3 days then went right back to the same symptoms again, this time it would shut off about every minute, but I got it home. Next day it would no longer start at all and hasn't started now for 6 months. I've been trying to figure it out off and on during that time as I was able to work on it, but had to buy another car for transportation cause of this.

I finally traced things back to the fuel pump to find the main power line to it was all burned up (probably part of the original problem). So I assumed a bad/locked-up/shorted fuel pump. I bought a new fuel pump and new battery. Re-wired the bad wiring and installed the new pump. Car now still cranks fine but wont start and no signs of life from the fuel pump still. I'm about at my wits end with this car and cant keep dumping money into it.

I'm open to any suggestions, ways to rewire the pump or test it long enough to see if the car will start. Disabling the immobilizer (if it has one and this might be the culprit). I just need some help and pointers here on what to check next or what to possibly consider inspecting/replacing. Any commonly known issues in this area with this car?

I'm going to start doing some wire tracing and testing today.

Any and all help provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by blakbyrd; 09-30-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 AM

Hi I hope that your car is ok by now, if not, why not try to crack lose the Exhaust down pipe bolts you might have a blockage in that system.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Car problem mentioned above is now fixed. It turned out to be fuel pump related. The wiring into the plastic housing of the pump was completely charred/melted and the connection destroyed. Apparently the pump seized up and shorted the connection out, but not before burning up and melting the housing and connection. Fixed the wiring and installed a new fuel pump and the car started back up. Has been running ok since.