1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

1g balance shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Default 1g balance shaft

the small belt drives the balance shaft correct? i thought that was the water pump at first glance, then i uncrossed my eyes & realized the water pump is driven by the serp. belt... BS belt broke, wedged between the tensioner and the timing belt, caused the timing belt to rip teeth off then break, the balance shaft turns kinda stiff, not like its locked up, just has some tension on it.i cant turn it by hand, i have to put a wrench on the nut.. does that seem normal or should it turn really free? i turned the oil pump with a drill and a socket, about 2500 RPM on the drill it came up to about 40-50Psi of oil pressure so i dont see any problem there, ive heard of removing the balance shaft whats all involved in that mess? could i just leave the belt off it and put it back together to get rid of the dead weight spinning?
ill figure it out as i go
i'm a really good mechanic on things i know, this is the first 1g DSM i think ive ever torn in to..i know a 420a like the back of my hand. just trying to learn a little about the 1g from someone that has been through them more

Old 11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Default RE: 1g balance shaft

well whe you remove the balance shafts there is a kit that you need to buy so that you can block off the oil to the balance shafts and other things. when i was looking under the hood of my car because i heard a belt squeeling i took the top timing cover off and look what was ther. the balance shaft belt so i had to drive the car because it was the only thing that i had. it didnt affect anything really but to do it properly, you need a balance eliminator kit and they go for like 75 bucks or so

Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM

i didnt think it would hurt anything to just leave it without the belt, like i said in another post, the noises this oil pump makes when i turn it with a drill i might as well just get another motor, it sounds like theres marbles gettin ground up in it, and i noticed a little bit of aluminum shavings laying in the head, better either do it all or just get an engine, about the time i fix the topend on this the pump will quit & it'll lock up

Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM

id just get a new motor because it seems like that motor took a major POOP!!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:56 PM

yea theyre just expensive for a used one with too many miles on it, is a JDM worth having shipped over?, i can get my buddy that owns a repair shop to get one so its cheaper
i realized the oil pump is supposed to be timed with the crank,here i am crankin it with a drill, lol that could be why its makes so much noise[sm=oopssign.gif]
or not, i looked at a pump apart, mine sounds like theres no teeth left on the gears

Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 PM

BTW here's the balance shaft belt

[IMG]local://upfiles/10240/0A4A8530ACB24D3EBF142BF196076C5C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 PM

or could it be possible that the balance shaft belt has been broke, and the reason the timing belt tore all the teeth off was from the oil pump breaking a gear [&:], i gotta take it apart now, ive never heard that much noise come from an oil pump thats just 2 gears, from what i see in picutres timing the pump doesnt make any difference.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM

timing the oil pump is needed, the other balance shaft is tied onto the oil pump. The B-shaft is bolted to the upper oil pump gear

Old 11-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I actually am in the middle of a balance shaft elimination on my G54B engine (Starion 2.6L turbo). I'm not sure about these engines but I know on my Conquest (Starion was the Mitsu model) there were refered to as "Silent Shafts" not balance shafts as they don't balance the crank but instead they help the pistons. He's right about the removal though. There is a kit you will need and it will have a piece that will go in where the BS sat and cover the oil supply port. Definately pull the pump and take a look at it. You should be able to tell if it's bad or not. Also you'll likely want to replace the oil pan gasket as you'll want to pull the pan to clean the oil pickup tube screen and clean out the pan of metal shavings that may be present. It likely will be cheaper to just do the repairs vice getting a new engine. I spent $300 in parts and here's what I'm doing: Balance Shaft elimination, timing chain, all chain guides, cam and crank gears, new oil pump, oil pan gasket, timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets. It's feasible if you want to do the work yourself. Have a shop do it and you'll pay out the ****.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:22 AM

i wont let any shop touch anything of mine, i do evrything myself, even alot of machine work
i just dont get why the balance shaft needs to spin double the speed of the crank, that things goin 14,000 if the engine is at 7, thats flyin, im surprised there isnt bearing failure issues there

Quick Reply: 1g balance shaft