1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

1g balance shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1g balance shaft

I don't claim to be an engine designer just know what the cars parts do to an extent. I'm not sure exactly how things work on some of that stuff.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 AM

half the time i dont think the people who design the stuff know what it does..

Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 AM

JDM would be the EVO 1-3 and Galant VR4. They aren't worth the money to have a clip or just a motor shipped to your home. Stick with the USDSM motors and you'll be fine.
I don't think you've been asked this question...what are your plans with your car anyway? Daily driver, Street racer, 1/4 track, or autox/closed course type car? What are your goals with this, I think I remember that you said you were going to keep this car for awhile.
The balance shaft needs to be replaced with a nub shaft and then plug the hole with a freeze plug type..um, plug, if you decide to remove it completely.
This is what they look like..
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

The link above the pics is from vFAQ and it goes into the reasoning behind the eliminator kit, another good reading link.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

That's a little different from the kit that I had to use on my 'quest but yeah that's what it'll be for you. If you want a nice smooth ride then you'll want the shafts in. If you don't mind a little shake then you can remove them.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM

i have the kit siting in my room and its the exact same as whats silver posted.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah like I said my engine is a G54B so my balance shafts are a bit different and MUCH easier to eliminate. I replace the oil pump sprocket, cam sprocket, chain, and 1 guide then I use the piece to block the oil port on the block and the one on the oil pump and I'm done.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 AM

im goin through the engine, the bottom end (besides the pistons) is in great shape, so im gonna ****can the balance shafts while im in there, i didnt realize at first there were 2 of them

Old 11-17-2006, 06:00 PM

removing the balance shaft is a hack way of repairing any mitsu engine.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

You're not repairing the motor by removing the BS. You're removing the BS to remove rotating mass, and a possible timing belt killer.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

You're not repairing the motor by removing the BS. You're removing the BS to remove rotating mass, and a possible timing belt killer.
the rotating mass of the 2 balance shafts is about 3 pounds total. the only friction they provide is the intertia of their own weight (which is insignificant compared to any other object being spun by the engine, including the crankshaft itself).
also, the nonsense about it being a timing belt killer is unfound. the belts dont fail any more frequently than any other timing belt on the planet. If it fails, its due to neglect and no other reason.
mitsu has been using balance shafts since 71.. they innovated the technology, and it does not fail unless neglected.
you WONT gain 10 magical HP removing them; You MIGHT gain .5. And the massive increase in amplitude of the vibration (about 5 times) causes the engine to shake itself to pieces, not to mention making a once smooth car turn into a buzzing heap, similar to a Neon.

no, the balance shafts are good to have. So good that nearly every manufacturer on the planet uses them. Hell, even my yamaha motorcycle has one. It is brilliant, and does exactly what its suppost to do without any drawbacks whatsoever.
removing them serves no purpose, despite what people might think.

Quick Reply: 1g balance shaft