1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

94 Eclipse ... Major problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Default 94 Eclipse ... Major problem

Ok, here goes..... My 1994 1.8L Eclipse has a problem that nobody can seem to fix or even diagnose as it is pulling no codes....
The problem..... I start my car cold and it drives perfect. When it reaches a certain temperature....usually after 5 minutes or so....The car will no longer drive over 2000 rpm. It kind of shuts down. I can put the pedal to the floor but nothing happens. I literally mean nothing as if the car was not even running. I can still drive it but must shift before 2000 rpm which only allows me to get to about 40 mph or so. I do drive it but I keep it at about 1950 as much as possible.
Now if I am idle, I can press the gas but once it hits 2000 rpm, it shuts down. It will continuously rev up to 2000 and stop until it gets below 1900 or so. So basically it will rev and stop really fast. Faster than I could do it manually.
Now I have already replaced the fuel filter and the MASS Air flow sensor and still it persists. I took it to a shop and it pulls no codes and after nearly 3 hours of trying to figure it out, he said I just dont know.

So if there is anybody out there who knows what this is....PLEASE HELP!!! I am at wits end!

Thanx,
Josh

Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Default RE: 94 Eclipse ... Major problem

Holy **** that is crazy. I'll ask my mechanic uncle, but lord knows...

Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 AM

If nothing can be read from your computer than that could be the problem. I would suggest trying to find one you can just test with. Maby buy one and then return it right after if it doesnt change anything. Either that or its some type of fuel problem i would think. Thats weird man good luck, ill see if my buddy knows anything about that.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

Well usually I think for the first five minutes or so the car will run in close circuit until it warms up. Then it starts to read from the O2, like he said try swapping a ECU.......I really don't know, its just a idea.....I'll ask around.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:31 AM

Yeah I think the least we can all agree on is that that is pretty ****ed up.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:52 AM

lol

Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 AM

I called my uncle but he's not home right now, sorry. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

First off it sounds almost like a governor problem. Does the engine come back up after it shuts down or does it shut off completely? It's definately an electrical problem though. I'll ask my buddy he's a mitsu certified tech he might know. And second Silver you're sucha postwhore.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 AM

Are you just joking around about the postwhore thing or do you mean that as an insult?

Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 PM

O.K. Thanx for the replies... The car never actually dies. It just revs up and down quickly in idle but only after it has warmed up. When I start the car in the morning or after a while of it cooling, it runs perfect. I can drive without any problems and can get up to speed and rpm's without it "bogging". But once it warms up is when it will only allow me to get to 2000 rpm and then, what I mean by shuts down is, it "bogs down" and no matter how much I push the gas, it will not respond until it gets back down to around 1900 rpm. If I keep it under 2000 it drives perfectly fine just I am already in 5th before I hit 40 mph. I shift like a truck driver just to keep it from jerking like I dont know how to drive a stick...lol....If I had 12 gears I would be fine...lol. So I hope that helps you to understand better. As for reading from the computer...it did pull something but it wasn't something to do with it. I don't remember what it was but I know it wasn't it. It was just something cheesy. I agree though, it seems to be one of 3 things....Fuel, Elctrical or air....but what more is there?! lol

Thanx,
Josh

Quick Reply: 94 Eclipse ... Major problem