1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Default Air Conditioning

Have a air problem it does not work. 93 gs 2.0l non turbo.
Is there a comon leak spot or problem that pleuge this model?
Any areas to check first?

Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Default RE: Air Conditioning

any whines or noises comming from the ac unit itself? there coulb be a leak but im not an expert on ac. anyway you might need more freon*hope i spelled that right* LOL you could try that. i just posted because no one else did

Old 06-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Well first off you need to check the AC compressor for any odd noises coming from the pulley, then you need to look at the sticker that tells you what refrigerant you're using. If it's R-12 then you'll need to retrofit it to R-134A being that R-12 is AT LEAST $120 a pound and in general it takes at LEAST 3 pounds to charge a system. Retrofit at the shop I work at costs around $250. Now if he compressor is fine and not making noise then things start to get difficult unless you're certified by the EPA to work on MVAC. About the only way you're going to find leaks is to have a dye oil injected into the system and getting a UV light to see it. The dye will glow a bright yellow/green and will show you where any leaks are. After that ou'll need to fix the leaks (I'fe seen everything leak fittings, condenser, reciever, compressor, dehydrator). After that you'll need to recharge the system with the R-134A. If you have to do a retrofit you'll be going through a process of taking all components out thoroughly cleaning the compressor and the condensor I believe and changing the dehydrator to an R-134A compatible dehydrator, changing out the fittings and then recharge the system.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:03 PM

If there is any squeeking or anything of the nature from the compressor than a new pulllie is would do the fix.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:48 PM

No strange or odd noises out of the compressor itself.
just will not hold the charge. I had 3 lbs of r12 put in and as fast as it went in it seemed to go out.
What about pressure testing the system, hoses one at a time and the rest if the hoses are good.
Putting all the money into some shops pocket seems a waste if I can do it myself.
You can still get r12 why convert to r134a? Sounds like a scam to me.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:36 PM

hook an airline to your system if you can come up with a proper connection, get a bucket of water and a turkey baster and put water on the hoses, connctions, ect. A leak that bad will make the water bubble. Just like finding a leak in a tire.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Or if you can get a hold of a leak check kit that comes with a UV reactive dye that you inject into the system and then use a blacklight to light up the dye like no tommorrow.