1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

desperatly need help asap please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Default desperatly need help asap please

i have a 1992 Eclipse 1.8 SOHC no tubo 5 spd. i just pput a head gasket on it and it has all new spark plugs and wires, distributor, timing belt, and a couple other parts. i ran rough before i put the gasket on it but when i got it all back together it didnt run at all. i put new battery terminals cuz mine broke. when i found out it didnt start i took the pulley system apart to make sure i had timing set correctly. when i set it, i made sure it started and it did. i put the rest of the pullies on and got it all back together and it wont start. it tries but just wont. while i am trying to start it it will occasionally sputter but not start. i smell gas up around the driver side of the engine so i know i am getting gas up to the engine. Anybody who knows any possible cause for my issue please inform me

Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Default RE: desperatly need help asap please

you shouldnt be able to smell the gas.. Are your injectors put back in correctly, and the fuel rail on them right?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 AM

make sure that you reconnected the fuel line corrrectly and tightly enough

Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM

well i did see a little bit of gas on the fuel rail...but it would still start wouldnt it?? could it possibly be since when i checked to see if it was in time i started it and turned it right back off...i know this year of eclipse has a wierd ECM. could i have possibly confused the computer and it dont know the right gas/air mixture?? just wondering

Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM

if you are losing presure somwhere due to something not being tight or connected correctly this could be your reason for the car not turning over. try to pinpoint where the the fuel is coming from, check your injectors, rail, fuel line and all connections.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

it shouldnt be the computer, but if you disconnect your battery for 5 minutes and hook it back up that should reset it. But I would take the fuel rail back off and injectors and put them all back together to make sure you have everything lines up right.. It doesnt take much to not be on there right..

Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 PM

also make sure the spacers are on there right.. Thats a common problem people get after messing with there injectors..

Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM

well it shouldnt be the fuel rail...i am getting gas because my spark plugs are drowned in gas..i think im not getting spark but i dont know how i wouldnt be.it has all new plugs and i just gapped them correctly..it also has a new distributor on it...i dont know what else to do i already unplugged the battery overnight and it didnt work

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM

There is a harness on top by the coil pack.. You have to disconnect that to get the coil pack out, make sure that is connected back tight. Prolly isnt it, but worth giving it a shot, I know mine was giving me problems for a while and that was all it was. (That connector)

Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 PM

wait, wait, wait. You say it started with none of the pulleys connected. Ok, then it is getting spark, and it is getting fuel. your problem is that of either, poorly connected battery, a low battery that doesnt have enough juice to kick over the motor, and its periphrial, or you have something on one of the accessories connected wrong, or you have the belt so tight that the low battery cant supply enough juice to crank the motor up to speed.
Are you sure (i am not doubting your integrity here) that it started and ran without the alternator, powersteering, and a/c connected?
Advocate, your right, you should not be smelling gas, and if you are, it tells me that 1, you are getting fuel in the rail, and 2, its going somewhere.
You should not smell gas, although there may still be some errant puddle somewhere from when you pulled everything apart, its not likely. Smelling fuel in the engine bay is bad JuJu. man.
swap that battery out with a friend first, or put it on a charger. Then find that fuel leak. Make sure you didnt knick one of the injector o-rings when you removed them, or installed them, they are easily cut, or knicked, and can cause all sorts of problems.

Quick Reply: desperatly need help asap please