1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Rough idel and dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Default Rough idel and dying

Hello all, having a problem w/ my eclipse, just bought the car about a month ago, it started off that after it was up to temp, every so often it would die when I would let the rpms drop from above 2k or higher. Well it's gone from that to most of the time when I let them drop, and now it dosn't idel well, when at temp. rpm's drop and it stalls. I brought the car into a local dealer and they hooked it up to all there fancy machines, and told me"Your car has been modified so much we don't get any errors and it would be really expensive to work on it" but, they didn't charge me for looking at it, so that was nice. but I still have a car running like crap, and I don't know where to start. any ideas would be nice. Oh, it has a chopped air box, no cat, K&N air filter, and air/fuel and boost gages. (stand back from the crazy mods)

Old 10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Rough idel and dying

wow...chopped air box?? get at least a filter replacement ( cone filter ) check your ignition / plugs wirings, check for faulty spark plugs. better yet...get a tune up service.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Does it idle at all without gas? If it does pull spark plug wires 1 at a time to see if it does anything to it (Leave 3 plugged in at all times) the one that doesn't change sound at all is probably the problem one LOL. When was the last time you changed plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor? Also the fuel filter is another one to check if it's idling bad it may be getting restricted flow until you hit the gas and force the pump into high gear.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:47 AM

no that sounds like a boost\VAC leak to me. Make sure your BOV is recirc still first and check your IC pipes makes sure there is no leak in air leaking out of your pipein. Other than thaty I agree with trying your plugs and wires

And as far as them saying your car has been modded to much that is Bull, they just wanted your car outta there. I had a 2000 GS with a turbo on it and an SAFC everything else needed to run a turbo and the dealer took my car in and found what my cars idle problem was. and in my case it was a VAC leak at the intake manifold so that is why I say make sure you have no leaks first

Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I agree the dealer was givin you a line of BS you don't have mods for SHYT that would stop them from finding the problem. Check your gauge lines for the boost gage if it's aftermarket THAT might be your boost leak... I was at first thinking idle air control motor but it won't usually die when the IAC goes bad just hunt alot.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 PM

ok, wife is gona kill me now, I was in the garage looking at the car. pulling plug wires and such, they seem to work ok, I think there might be a leak in one of the hoses comming out of the turbo. (don't know what it's called) any ways, I was reving it from in the engine bay, and all of a sudden there coolent leaking from the back area of the moter!!!! looking at all of the hoses, Im starting to wonder if it might be a good idea to bring it in somewhere and have all new hoses(coolent/vacume) put on. This is getting very frusterating. My wife dosn't want me spending alot of money on the car, (baby on the way) but I would like to get it running good, so I can start doing some bolt on type stuff.(about my level of working) is anyone in minnesota, around the Twin Citys area, that knows these cars that might be able to look/help a bit?

Old 10-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

K coolant out the BACK of the engine sounds like a freeze plug. Easy fix but you'll need a pick set and a set of needle nose pliers and prolly a flathead screwdriver to get it out. Then take the old one to Advanced ot Auto Zone they sell RUBBER ones DON'T get the metal one that is stock it's a PAIN in the @$$ to put back in. The rubber one you put it in and thighten it with a ratchet. You'll have to do some testing and figure out EXACTLY where the vacuum/boost leak is and replace that hose.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 PM

if you have a leak it may be as simple as tightening the IC hose. BTW the hose\pipe going from the turbo to the intercooler is called the Lower IC(intercooler) pipe and the one going from the intercooler to the throttle body is called the upper IC pipe

Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 AM

ok, all hoses checked, no leaks. I adjusted the BISS and my rpm's are up some, about 900-950 helped a little w/ it killing at intersections. any other ideas?

Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check where your gauges go into the turbo lines? Also have you checked the fuel filter lately?

Quick Reply: Rough idel and dying