1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Rough idel and dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Default RE: Rough idel and dying

Still the same, my Idle speed stabalizer is going to be here in about a week. The leak was on the 90 deg. elbow of the upper intercooler pipe. It seems like I keep finding leaks on everything now, coolent leak(s), power steering leak, no oil leaks though.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

LOL I know the feeling. I have an '84 truck that leaks everything but oil as well. Parked it on a cement slab and all the coolant dripped out the gearbox for the power steering is empty and even the exhaust leaks LOL.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:02 PM

hmmmm.....replace all the hose's lolz....[sm=bling.gif]

Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah with all aluminum hoses LOL.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Idle speed stabalizer installed, idles better now. Now I'm working on my belt eating problem... I'm on the 3rd belt in 2.5 months. (Alternator/Powerstearing) had it in at a locar shop and they said my alternator work, but the bushings for the mounts are bad. It looks like an almost new alternator, anyone know if you can buy the bushings anywhere? And....they also said I need a new powersteering rack???????? ouch, any aftermarket, better parts to buy for that one, or just stick to stock?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

EEPS I HATE doing PS racks... They are a BITCH. (Pardon my french) Basically there isn't really an aftermarket piece to replace that just stick with stock. Unless you're planning on changing the steering system to something else. I dunno why you'd do that. As for the bushings... What alternator bushings? The little metal pieces that go in the boltholes? I see NO reason THAT would cause it to eat belts but I dunno. Good to hear you're idling better now though.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:09 AM

I'm guessing that they think the alternator moves enough, and the belt gets worn and then breaks. I'm still on belt number three for now, but I haven't put much of a load on it. I'm gona try a new alternator tomorrow, I ordered a crank pully from Unothadox, but it's on back order untill late November.....that might also be the problem.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see how the crank pulley would affect the alternator belt. But if you DO get the new alternator then you'd get the "bushings" the techs are talking about. Though if you're eatting belts you need to look at WHERE the belt is geting eaten at. Inside or outside? Top or bottom? That'll give you a clue where to look for your problem.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM

just check the general: plugs, wires, air box/filter...then maf and o2 sensors... and hope that's as bad as it gets...
oh, and if you end up needing a MAF, lemmie know... I've had lots of these kinds of idle problems... i've got a ton of working MAF sensors!

Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM

When you change the altanator check all the accessory/tensioner pullys with the belt off for free movment maybe one of them is binding

Quick Reply: Rough idel and dying