2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

2g gst

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Default RE: 2g gst

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

3 or 4 members have. one guy (can't remember the exact s/n) is doing it right now. he bought a long block 6 bolt from Slowboy and is putting it in now (he has a thread called "how far am i?") right now. its definatly a good idea to do it. yes i can be a very serious problem. just imagine you rebuilding ur engine with pistons, rods, rings, crank, bearings (all this is apx 1000-1200) and then it taking a crap on you... if you are an unlucky person that money is now gone!!
dude that is one of your fellow modorators and has been a mod for longer than you hahah its 93eclipseGSX. he has a Buschur stage 3 block and head (not slowboy)

Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

3 or 4 members have. one guy (can't remember the exact s/n) is doing it right now. he bought a long block 6 bolt from Slowboy and is putting it in now (he has a thread called "how far am i?") right now.
thats woody thats doin it (93eclipsegsx) but it was a buschur long block, not slowboy

Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 PM

damn it emonz! lol i wanted to take that one!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 PM

hey thanx for the info on crankwalk lol i really didnt want to get decapitated for asking that question but i did a search and what not and all i got was any threads that even mentioned the word crankwalk anywhere in it lol which wasnt telling me much and i know thats like an everyday question for you guys but yeah thanks for not freaking out on me i needed the info...

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Not only woody, also Jeff and Paintball I think too.

There are minor fabrications that are needed to install a 6 bolt though. They are fairly simple. You can either do them yourself or purchase the kit (very expensive and overpriced IMO)

Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 PM

dude i hate to sound dumb but what happens when crankwalk happens. does i break rods. do the rods hit the cylinder sleeves or what

Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

A combination of a couple things. (two different theorys combined). Basically the 7 bolt has oil pressure problems, causing metal on metal contact. This especialy happens on start up because there is no oil pressure. This is also made worse when you push the clutch in on start up. I dont exactly know why but for some reason it makes the oil pressure lower... causing more friction.

It is the combination of a soft crankshaft and soft main bearings. Basically the bearing and the crank wear into eachother causinga gapbetween them.This is why it will cause your clutch to act up. Basically the crank just moves around in the crankcase .. and if it wears down enough it is able to hit parts of it.. basically causing it to grenade. Think about it... its moving at how many RPM?... and hitting a solid object. The force of the rotational mass coming to a complete stop is immense. Basically causing a huge boom... and spewing your 7 bolt all over the road.

This is aparently made worse by aftermarket clutches. Due to putting more pressure on the crank and causing it to wear more. The other is the "clutch start" switch. Its the switch that stops you from starting the car without the clutch pushed in. You will find that 80% of 7 bolt DSMs will have this disabled for that reason.

Im not 100% sure about my description... but thats what i have been told and it makes sence to me.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM

hey j/w but does anyone know what agallardo's eclipse looked like...like what color...everytime i get on i can never catch him while he's on to ask him so im just gonna ask someone and see if anyone knows...also i know its like minor fab work or atleast thats what i got out of this article someone on here sent me...i think it was either engineer or the advocate but one of those guys sent it to me but yeah so anyone experienced gimme some kind of hands on detail if you can...i wanna know just how hard this is gonna be for me...lol

Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Banned

Black with the 97-99 body style

Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 AM

crankwalk was common in the pre-97 4g63t's compared to the +97 4g63t's. However, like everyone has said, go with the 6 bolt to be on the safe side and to protect your investment. The 6 bolts aren't that expensive and are easy to find at a bargain price. In fact, I just picked one up for $150 on ebay (complete long block with the 14b turbo still on it). Now I have 2 6-bolts and 2 7-bolts in the garage.

Quick Reply: 2g gst