2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Angry 911 please help

A shady mechanic got a hold of 4g63 and did an engine swap from a 97 motor to a 98 rebuilt motor. During this hold process he has not been straight up so I need your help to check up on this guy! I looked up the 4G63 engine serial number location but how do I know if he used my old block or not? Is there a way to tie the serial code to a car? ...PS I looked at the motor after the install it looks great no leaks very clean! and all seals freeze plugs belts ect.. have been done.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

If he is shady why did you let him work on it. There should be a VIN # on the block. But what was wrong with the old block? And everything looks like its running good and has been done what is the problem?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Red face hi

well the guy who did the work has done work 4 me in the past. good work!... but this time he has not been honest about the stsat of the original block I asked what happened to the original block and head and he told me that that head was cracked and the original block had some kind of blockage in the oil pathway . When we started this project he was to do a rebuild of the original engine and all that changed. Now the car has a supposed 98 motor that he rebuilt. I messed up and did not get the engine serial number off the old block. this has been going on for 4 months .. yes 4!! now he's telling me he has find out why he has to up start the car from under the hood and not use the key.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

well 4 months is expected for a small shop to do an engine swap because generally they arent just working on your car every day.

But my guess is that he found a good 98 motor with the head and decided it would be easier to just swap the whole engine in rather than doing a whole rebuild on the current block and only swapping the head. I mean if it was me that is what i would do to

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM

right on thanx!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Cool Finally My (97)GST rebuild but...

A shady mechanic got a hold of 4g63 and did an engine swap from a 97 motor to a 98 rebuilt motor. During this hole process he has not been straight up so I need your help to check up on this guy! I looked up the 4G63 engine serial number location but how do I know if he used my old block or not? Is there a way to tie the serial code to a car? ...PS I looked at the motor after the install it looks great no leaks very clean! and all seals freeze plugs belts ect.. have been done. well the guy who did the work has done work 4 me in the past. good work!... but this time he has not been honest about the state of the original block I asked what happened to the original block and head and he told me that that head was cracked and the original block had some kind of blockage in the oil pathway . When we started this project he was to do a rebuild of the original engine and all that changed. Now the car has a rebuilt 98 motor. I messed up and did not get the engine serial number off the old block. this has been going on for 4 months .. yes 4!! now he's telling me he has find out why he has to up start the car from under the hood and not use the key. Well everything is done and fixed now 8 days later. The car was surging but he fixed that the car now passed emissions but it stumbles when I floor it and it reaches 4500 to 5000 the boost gauge reads 14psi at the time of the stumbling. Oh and the smart guy bent my underdrive pully I just noticed it what should I look at doing to fix the stumbling all the IC piping looks ok? Could it be the stock blow off not holding?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by profitwho007
it stumbles when I floor it and it reaches 4500 to 5000 the boost gauge reads 14psi at the time of the stumbling. ..what should I look at doing to fix the stumbling all the IC piping looks ok? Could it be the stock blow off not holding?
Might be the blow off. Might be the ECU fueling map does not match something that was swapped out. Don't know what all got changed, like T-body, sensors, and whether or not the 97 is exactly the same as 98. Assuming he didn't change the ECU.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 AM

from what i read the 97 and 98 are the same.