2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

96 Eclipse Spyder - Can top be used manually?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Default 96 Eclipse Spyder - Can top be used manually?

I just purchased a 1996 Eclipse Spyder GS for my son for his high school graduation. It's in great shape, but the control module for the convertible top is dead, so the top won't open. (This has been verified by a mechanic to be the problem)

Until he gets a new control module, can the top be opened and closed manually?

I just want expert opinions before one of his buddies tries to convince him to try to work it manually.

Thanks,
Croz.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM

I don't see anything in the service manual about opening it manually so I would definitely recommend not trying to do it.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by BrokeDad
I don't see anything in the service manual about opening it manually so I would definitely recommend not trying to do it.
Cosigned.. it may cause more harm than good...

Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 AM

I have the exact same problem with my spyder and I have been putting the top down by hand for about 2 years now with no problems. It goes up and down fine with a person on each side guiding it evenly. The motors dont have to be used electronically to turn. So I dont see any real harm in doing it manually.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 AM

Interesting you have been doing that with no apparent harm. My big concern would be when you replace the module, is everything still working?

I'm not so worried about the top going up and down, I'm sure that could be done, I'm more worried about breaking something.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by spyderSAM
I have the exact same problem with my spyder and I have been putting the top down by hand for about 2 years now with no problems. It goes up and down fine with a person on each side guiding it evenly. The motors dont have to be used electronically to turn. So I dont see any real harm in doing it manually.
I won't contradict you but I'd still be real afraid of bending one of the rails or damaging the motors or stop sensors. Also I often find it's not something I want down for days at a time with the changing weather, having valuables in the car like a laptop coming home from work while stopping on an errand , etc. Not to mention you said it takes two people to guide it right. I'd spend the money to fix it as it is soooooo convenient to have it working right.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Pop your trunk. If you look on the left hand side there should be a cover that can be removed...inside there is a switch that changes the convertible motor from manual to power. I'm sure if you switch it to the manual there will be no problems.
You may have to have the key in the "on" position to switch it over.

Hope that works.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Popped the trunk, but the only panel to the left that I can see is the one for the left tail lights. Forward of that is a trunk light, but that's all I can see on that side.

Do you have more info on where that panel would be?

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Yea dang. So sorry, I forgot that switch. It has been so long since mine has worked automatically. I believe you have to remove that drivers side trunk panel. The switch is actually attached to the back of the panel near the trunk light.

Also does your Spyder have the 4g64 or the 4g63? Because I swear when I had my Spyder with the 4g63 it didnt have that switch in the trunk panel. But I got another that had the 4g64 and it had the switch. Anyone know if models might differ on that or am I just crazy and all spyders have them???

Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 AM

i have looked a couple times cuz i have the same problem with the motor not working. i havent seen a switch in my 4g64 but later on today im definitely going to take a more detailed look behint those panels because i have been seeing on a lot of forums that there is this supposed switch for manual to electric top down!

Quick Reply: 96 Eclipse Spyder - Can top be used manually?