2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

97 Eclipse Spyder System install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Default 97 Eclipse Spyder System install questions

I'm helping a friend install a new CD player, amp, and 4 speakers into his 97 eclipse spyder turbo sometime next week.

He's a little bit afraid of having a "non-professional" touch his car, so I figured i'd ask first. Is there anything special about removing his door panels for the speakers, and especially the rear speakers. Any websites showing step by step how to do this would be appreciated, or maybe some photos of an install you've done?

What would be the best place to install the amp. he has an infinity setup now, so theres one under the passenger seat. I haven't seen which amp he bought yet, so assuming it fits, is that the best place to install it, or should the trunk be better?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned
Default RE: 97 Eclipse Spyder System install questions

Easy as hell, a chimp could do it

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM

LOL sebba, well i dont know how so why dont you help him haha.. that is, if you really know how hahah just messin man

Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM

I know the question is retarded, but my friend is Asian and overprotective of his car. I keep telling him with 160k miles, you're not getting more than a couple years out of it, so don't worry about installing it (btw, all his stock speakers are blown and the factory amp doesn't work -- I think someone had a system in and pulled it before selling it).

I couldn't find any guides or anything using google, so I figured hey, wtf, might as well ask, atleast show the kid that I tried. It's either he trusts a couple friends or pays $300 to have "professionals" install a $500 system in a $2500 car, you tell me what makes sense.

With that said, if a chimp could do it, I'm glad, but maybe you know of a pictoral guide somewhere on this vast website showing what to do?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM

all you need for the radio is the install kit and adapter for the wire harness....that being said, its pretty strait forward. now with the speakers, whatever you do, DO NOT cut into the speaker grille's to put the speakers. do it right and take off the covers on the door and by the back seats and put them in right. and with the amp, the best place that i found is where the factory amp is or was. and like sebba said, its really easy to do, just take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Tell your buddy that I have a sub box that will fit EXACTLY inside of his trunk of his Spyder...I had it custom built to fit the form of my trunk in the '97 Spyder I used to own..It's carpeted in Gray and held (2) 12's...I mounted my amps right on top of the box..I'll sell it for $40 plus shipping costs...It's made out of 3/4 inch MDF. Let me know if he's interested and I'll try and get some pics..It's just sitting in the garage collecting dust right now...It's gotta go!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM

Anyone tell me if it's possible to get to the rear speakers from the trunk?

Don't worry, we haven't started yet (in case you thought I've been trying for 2 weeks).

Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 AM

Dunno about the rear speakers, but the door speakers are simple. there are four screws (should be) 2 on the hinge side of the door and 2 on thelatch side. remove the screw inside the door grip and the one behind the inside handle...voila. carefully pull the panel off. unplug the pwr window harness and set the panel aside. the rest gets even easier. unscrew the speaker from the baffle, and plug the new one in. This is all fresh in my head since 2 nights ago I had to change both outside door handles. peace.