2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

98 GST spyder... convertible top frame BROKEN!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Default 98 GST spyder... convertible top frame BROKEN!?!

Hello all ! New to this forum, not new to fixing cars... but stumped here.
Bought a gs-t spyder last week, roof does not work. I figured no big deal, I am mechanically inclined and can fix anything.....
Wrong.
Upon closer inspection found that, not to mention the control arm links twisted beyond recognition (i expected that), the aluminum FRAME is CRACKED !!
First piece that is cracked is the "middle side rail" according to local Mitsudealer,retail around $260. It's the heavy cast aluminumframe piece that you will see right above the spot where the two side pieces of glass (door and rear quarter) meet. Here is a diagram:

Second one is "side rail guide" or something of that nature, retails around $320 - it is also cast aluminum, thick and wierd shaped piece that attaches the middle side rail to the motor housing, appears to be for tilting the roof as it folds.
As outrageous as I thought those prices were, I broke down and ordered the parts. Only to receive the call today that they were discontinued and are no longer available. At all. I asked the parts guy where I can get them, and he said "junk yard". I asked him if I brought the car in for repair he would order them at the junk yard, and he said yes. A-holes would probably would bill me the 580 bucks for new ones, too.
So, besides welding them together, which I don't think will be durable, and junk yards, who want to sell me the whole (used, junky) top for $750 plus shipping, what are my options? Maybe someone on this forum wants to part out a Spyder top for me? Or recommend a salvage yard that wouldhave one (midwest)?
Thanks ahead for all your help, looking forward to being able to contribute to the forum one day... even though I am the one asking for help today.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Default RE: 98 GST spyder... convertible top frame BROKEN!?!

dude i had a similar problem in mine the rail that is right above the head of the driver broke in half because my dad dropped a ladder on it. i found a guy that was able to send it to me. i dont remeber how much it was a year ago but i beleav it was
http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/
i had called them and let them know what i was looking 4 and they said they didnt have one in stock, but they took my info and said they would try to locate one 4 me. sure enough about 10 min later they said they could have it to me in 3 days. ps i live in chicago so i was thrilled. i beleave it was some where in between 150-250 dollors for it shipped. which was way better then not having anything. the dealer i called said take it to a machine shop to have them fix it cuz they couldnt
hope this helps you in ur fix- good luck

Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

mitsu graveyard is definetly the place. The guy there can find just about anything your looking for. Also try www.car-part.com and see if you can find one around you

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM

That was the #1 reason why I traded my '97 Spyder...the top leaked on the driver's sidea little...i replaced all the elastic by hand which took me 2 whole days, and it started bending brackets on it's way back...so I said "F" it and went and traded it on my '99 GS-T coupe with a sunroof... I love it and I'll never own another convertable...the top is a PITA and expensive to replace like $1200 to $1500.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM

Thank you for your suggestions ! Will try mitsubishigraveyard.com tomorrow morning.

even trade for a vr4 anyone?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Right now I am at work. I had a similar problem with my 98 GS Spyder. I found a company that manufactures this part and the cost is less than a 1/3 rd of the dealer repalcement. I have the e-mail address at home and if your interested you can e-mail me @ glinterstate93@comcast.net "Subject convertable top" and I will reply wiht the name of this company. I have had mine installed for a month now and no problems so far and am enjoying the car riding around "topless" LOL