2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

98 Spyder obviously not meant to have the roof up...please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Default 98 Spyder obviously not meant to have the roof up...please help!!

Hey all,

Just got a 98 Spyder in the summer and have been having problems with creaky noises throughout the interior when the roof is up - mostly coming from the convertible top, windows (predominantly the divider between the front and rear windows and where the passenger window meets the roof), and the glove box (that thing rattles like crazy!!!). I never noticed it at first because I always had the top down but now that it is getting a little colder the noises are driving me nuts!
The convertible top has a loose bar right above the driver/passenger seat. I'm assuming because of that it is moving around and causing all sorts of noise. I know the car will be loud but was only expecting wind noise not these ridiculous squeaks and creaks.
I did performance motor mounts in August and since then have experienced a lot more vibrations which has caused more noises but it like it a little bit before too.
Anyway does anyone else hear these noises in their Spyder and does anyone have any idea on how to fix them? I'd really like to know how to fix that one bar for multiple reasons.

Also, does anyone have instructions for how to install a new roof? I'd like to try to D.I.Y. to save the few hundred bucks it will cost for a shop to do it.

Thanks!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 AM

I just got the same car about a month ago. I noticed there was a TSB for the arm support that folds the front section over on to the back section when you retract the roof. Apparently the original was weak and poorly designed. I just ordered the two arms for $177.00 each and a reinforced section for $80.00 from an aftermarket supplier. The OEM support is still flimsy and will bend an ultimately break. As for the squeak, mine was coming from the rubber seal where the roof meets the windshield seal. I used vaseline to lubricate it and it solved the problem. My refrigerator repairer said vaseline is good for rubber because he used it on my fridge. My only problem now is how to tell which arm is left and which one is left. Mine came without arms.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Perfect. Thanks. I'll try that.

I'm just going to attach the middle bar back to the arm one way or another. As of now the actual moving arms are fine.