2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

99 eclipse lights blinking and battery light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Default 99 eclipse lights blinking and battery light

99 eclipse 2.0NT (but with an aftermarket turbo) - The front and back directionals along with the instrument lights are blinking on and off and won't stop. The alarm horn i had to disconnect because it wouldn't turn off as well. The car will run for a bit but the battery light will come on. I just purchased a new battery and the alternator is putting out 14.8ish. I pulled the anti-theft fuse but that didn't seem to do anything or help at all. I'm going to buy a scanner tonight for it so I don't have any codes yet. It runs fine until the battery light comes on. Is there a way to disconnect the alarm system? Could this be the problem or just coincidence? It is stock.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Default RE: 99 eclipse lights blinking and battery light

Have you put the key in the driver's side door lock to turn the alarm off? I know that is pretty basic, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to turn off their alarm without the keyfob. Also, you might as well put that fuse back in because it not for the alarm brain.

If you don't want the factory alarm to set, don't lock the door with it open. Lock it only after you've closed all doors.
Battery light and poor performance are most likely related.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Thank you. Sometimes the simple and obvious are overlooked - especially by me. However,putting the key in the door worked until the siren came back on after I cleaned the terminals. Then it didn't. I did put the fuse back earlier because it didn't really do anything that I could tell. I will try to get a scanner tonight and see if it will giveanything.

I don't have a fob for thiscar. So could it be that it never gets turned off? Or, is there some special sequence after I put the new battery in?

I appreciatethe help.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:46 AM

You could remove the battery terminal again, press the brake pedal for roughly 5-10 seconds, then replace the terminal. Manually lock the doors, press the door switch and hold it for 5 seconds,then release it. That should drain the capacitors in both the ECU and alarm brain...and radio presets.
The scanner won't pick up anything related to anything other than the motor's ECU though. I was going to suggest doing the key dance, but then I noticed that you have a 99 and Chrysler/Mitsu stopped doing that in late 97 mid 98.
Once the power starts getting below 13 volts, the relays starts acting up. They require 12 volts steady or they will shut down and turn back on, which may be why your car is acting up once the battery light comes on. Are you having to recharge the battery with a home charger? If so, then the alternator(s) you purchased may be bad. That's not uncommon either as I've had to replace mine a few times because of getting a bad one here and there.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the info and help
I will try that combination when I get home. Maybe the alternator is choking the output after it runs for a few minutes. I will have it checked tonight as well. If none of this works is there an alarm disable wire under the passenger kick panel? I don't remember seeing one but one of the guys at the office said there might be. I will let you know if this does it. I'm keeping the fingers crossed.

Brian

Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 PM

hmm well idk if mitsus ever have a problem with the bcm but that sounds like a body control module (not even sure if the name is the same for mitsus) problem to me. It causes alot of issues with chevy's.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:36 AM

That's what Chrysler calls their body electronics computer is called also.
I have never seen one in a 2G Eclipse though. There sure are plenty of relays, however. Plus the factory alarm is not integrated with any ECUs in the car, just a bunch of relays. lol That's a good thing though as those damned body control units are a PITA!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM

This thing has me stumped now, not to mention frustrated with it. There is a denso control board on the passenger side kick panel. I'm sure that it has to do withair bags and alarm. There has to be a disarm wire that you can runto ground- but which one?I justtested the battery again and its good, and my alternator still says 14.3 at least on my meter. I am going to run it down the street and have it tested again.

Thank you guys for the input.I will spend some time listening to relays today and pinpoint which one is energizing when the lights keep flashing. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Brian

Old 12-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Be careful with the airbag system. Don't mess around with it as it can hurt you. The alarm and airbags are not connected. The alarm brain is also in the rear seating area, not in the dash area.

When you lock the doors, you use your key right? Do you see the green security light come on, located on the instrument cluster. Do all your door triggers work, in other words, when you open the doors (one at a time) does the courtesy light come on? How about the rear?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the warning
I looked through the harness and didn't see anything, just to make sure that there wasn't anything on the board that was bad. I founda power and ground wire to the old amp that was bad and shorting out. I also found a bad cutoff switch that was to the alarm and re-wired it and that seems to have fixed the alarm situation. I'm going to change out the battery terminals tonight because after running it for a while the light came on again. It had 14.3 on the cables but only 12.8 on the battery itself.

You were right onabout when it gets under 13. CEL and thebattery lightboth came on this time.

Thanks again.

Brian