2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

99 eclipse low combustion new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Default 99 eclipse low combustion new engine?

i have a 99 eclipse 2.4.. tested all the cylinder combustions and one of my cylinders is at 90 ... with the other 3 ranging from 110-120... currently im driving the car with the maf unplugged... only way to prevent it from not stalling... car has 146,000 miles on it... should i just replace the engine? or is it not worth putting money into... i think the piston rings are bad... but im not sure

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

well after you did the dry test and found low compression you should have done a wet test where you take about a cap full of oil and drop it in the cylinder. Then try and re-run the test. If the number increases then its the piston rings because the oil will help seal a bad ring temporarily.

However low compression shouldnt make your car stall out. Do you have a CEL?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM

yes i have a cel... its po446.. system vent control malfunction... ive changed the maf and the map and the stalling was still there with thte MAF plugged in so i had the engine checked and thats when i found out one of the cylinders wasent working right.. and i was told thats the reason the car stalls out... i dont want to put a ton of money into this car so im just trying to weigh my options.. if i can find a way to plug the maf in and still drive without stalling id drive the car how it is now... but if i need to change the piston rings to get rid of the stalling.. thats seems like it will cost some money.... suggestion?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

well usually if you have a stalling issue with the MAF plugged in usually that means leak. Because what is happening is the MAF is recording air flow...then the air is escaping somewhere and the engine is not getting the air that it believes it should. So you get the stalling issue.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Yes the MAF measure how much air is coming in...why you changed your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor well if it wasnt broken and the signal was still good you wasted some money...The code you got was pertaining to your EVAP system.
Evaporative Emissions Control Vent which refers to the function of equalizing the pressure within the fuel tank and atmospheric air.

you would be suprised by how many times its the gas cap...so you can check that out see if its failing...Evap-Fuel vapors basically

Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 AM

so does my car not need a new engine? if theres something i could do to just stop the stalling would be great but i thought the dead cylinder is what is making it stall tho

Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by McNeil
so does my car not need a new engine? if theres something i could do to just stop the stalling would be great but i thought the dead cylinder is what is making it stall tho
Im not going to tell you to buy X amount of parts, But what I will suggest is that you take it to a local test and repair smog shop since if they do repairs they have more experience with this kind of thing...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you have low compression in a cylinder. But like i said thats not going to make your car just stall. Maybe run alittle crappy...but not make it die.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM

alright so im a little lost here... the dead cylinder that i have is not making the car stall? ive checked for vaccum leaks and i couldnt find any... im really lost on what to do.. i brought it to the dealer a couple days ago and thats how i found out i had a dead cylinder and they told me that was my reason for stalling.. ( but thats to get me to drop alot of money for them to do a new engine lol) so what should i specifiably look for?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by McNeil
alright so im a little lost here... the dead cylinder that i have is not making the car stall? ive checked for vaccum leaks and i couldnt find any... im really lost on what to do.. i brought it to the dealer a couple days ago and thats how i found out i had a dead cylinder and they told me that was my reason for stalling.. ( but thats to get me to drop alot of money for them to do a new engine lol) so what should i specifiably look for?
Ok now I know what your talking about...of course one cylinder not firing at all will make you stall.easy fix is dropping a new motor in I guess, Im the kind of person who would rather hone the walls and continue using that block.

Quick Reply: 99 eclipse low combustion new engine?