2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

99 eclipse low combustion new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a dead miss?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM

not sure what that means.. im not that good with cars lol... i know the cylinder that is about is only 90 pounds when they did the combustion test... so the dead cylinder is why the car stalls when i have the MAF plugged in? was hoping it was something else i could do just to drive it for a while till i can get the new engine

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by McNeil
not sure what that means.. im not that good with cars lol... i know the cylinder that is about is only 90 pounds when they did the combustion test... so the dead cylinder is why the car stalls when i have the MAF plugged in? was hoping it was something else i could do just to drive it for a while till i can get the new engine
strike my previous post...Dude just take it to a mechanic that can lookover the delears workorder...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by McNeil
Does it missfire, sputter, lack power when driving?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM

yes.. when the MAF is plugged in and i try to drive the car it will drive for about 5 minutes then when i come to a stop it will backfire and loose power and stall out... i can start it up again and drive it a little but either when i come to a stop again or sometimes just while driving it will do it... only with the maf unplugged does the car not do it

Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM

hrm. keep your MAF plugged up and set the idle higher than usual see if it happens again...Usual being 800 set it to like a mere 1k

Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the spark plugs and post pics if you can.

Also do a wet compression test too.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM

alright ill try to set the idle tomorrow and let u know how that goes... and ill post pics of the plugs ...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM

well found out the problem... needed a new fuel injector... now runs perfectly.. thanks for the suggestions

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM

hey im back with the same problem.... after i had the fuel injectors changed i was able to drive my car with the MAF plugged in fine.. took it on the highway and it would stall out at high speeds... 60 or above...i would have to barley make it off the high way and turn the car off then on again to be able to drive it fine... now today i took it on the highway again to see if the problem had gone away and my car died and wouldnt turn back on while iw as on high way.. i had it jumped and drove it home and now when i try to drive it with the MAF im getting another problem... i can start the car and drive up the street... sometimes i can drive all around... except for the highway... and some times i can only drive for a couple minutes and then the idle will drop really love and ill go to hit the gas and i get nothing... if i keep hitting the gas the car will backfire... once i keep hitting the gas pedal and get the rpms over 1500-2000 rpm it will finally accelerate.. ive taken my car to many mechanics and no one cant pin point the exact problem... ive looked online and saw a couple of things to check for... the ECU... crankshaft sensor... and a reed switch i think its called for the speed... does any of these go along with the symptoms im having? i would just love to get this car fixed and be able to drive it worry free

Last edited by McNeil; 06-22-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 eclipse low combustion new engine?