2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Default All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?

i want to get the eclipse gsx but because of time and money i cant seem to find one...ive found gst's but along with a majority of eclipse lovers i want the all wheel drive...can anyone give me there input on if im making a mistake by gettin the gst or if theres no real difference between the gst and gsx performance...im aware of the effects of all wheel drive in performance but if anyone can help me out with this it would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Default RE: All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?

Well if you want something you are going to actually take to the track a lot and buildup for actual racing then if you can wait find a GSX. If you want something that you enjoy and drive around then just get a GST. It's not like you can't build up a 2wd, most cars out there aren't awd. Also while it would be nice to have a GSX that's also that many more parts to break in the long run that you'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I love the GSX's and if it was going to be a secondary car not a primary one I might have looked longer and gotten one of those, but since my eclipse is my main mode of transportation I has happy with the GST, still got the power and I'm very happy with what I have.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:35 PM

yeah i never thought about that...well since this eclipse is going to be my main transportation then i think im gonna go with the gst...thanx

Old 12-12-2004, 07:06 PM

It dosn't really matter if you really want a gsx I would go with that but it's all on preferance, and the gs-t and gsx will all have parts break down because its a highperformance car. When I was looking at car I really wanted a gs-tb but then I drove a gsx and I was like I need to buy this car and I'm very happy with my choice. My gsx has had repairs all my friends have had in their gs-t's or gsx's the only thing that might be different in repairs is the transfer case and clutch because all the power goes to those two areas unlike a gs-t because of it being a fwd car it will get wheel hop so it dosn't put any pressure on the clutch. basically every repair is the same like the timing belt and all the other repairs, but just remember all turbo dsms will have repairs. So I think it's all on what you want to buy.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:31 PM

I love my GSX....I drive it daily and have no problems at all....As long as you maintain the car and do not abuse it while driving you will be fine....It will treat you as well as you treat it

Old 12-13-2004, 01:49 PM

Here's a stupid question:

On the FWD models, are both two front wheels being powered by the transaxel or is only one wheel ?

DT

Old 12-13-2004, 05:38 PM

go with the awd. i drive mine daily and have had only minor problems with it. mostly tranny and you will get that with gst as well.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Dans Talon

Here's a stupid question:

On the FWD models, are both two front wheels being powered by the transaxel or is only one wheel ?

DT
Nice, it can be the Eclipse GST Go kart edition. Anways...i'm not sure if you're serious....but if you are, yes, both wheels are driven. Since the F5M3x comes stock with an open differential(in DSMs, anyway), in tight corners and being fwd, it might feel like the car is being a little light on one side. If you're not serious, well then....i still think the go kart thing is funny....

Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 PM

I wasn't saying the GSX's are prone to have problems or anything like that, and I would love to have one, AWD is just fun. It's just something I thought of when I was looking around, also helped me say screw it and just get this one instead of looking longer for a GSX.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM

GSX's are actually very good performance cars, despite their rumored "shortcomings". A lot of people say they weigh too much, but the curb weight tops out around 3,150lbs, and that's with pretty much every option, including leather seats, moonroof, and whatever other power accessories available. With some decent lightweight parts you can get them down to about the weight of a stock loaded GST. Another thing people like to bring up is that the AWD system is absorbing power. Drivetrain loss on the AWD DSM's doesn't seem to be all that much, around 15-18% from what I've seen on available dyno charts(gross estimates were made on the flywheel hp though, but after comparing the charts to ones i've found of similiarly equipped GST's, the loss wasn't all that much). Mitsubishi did revise the U.S market W5M33 transmission's in 1994(for the 1995 production car), so perhaps they improved it's efficiency. The stock AWD system is also reportedly very strong, able to hold up to 600hp(crank, i'm guessing). With good upkeep they can last much longer and provide better results, but some owners just don't give it enough attention.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?