2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Default RE: All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?

Yea, I've always been amazed at how much power most import trannies will hold up to. It has to deal with the high rpm powerband of most of those cars. If you put a blown V8 in there or something with a much lower rpm and torquier power it might not hold up to it quite as well. Who knows, that might make good sense or none at all, I'm just kinda in a daze right now, lol.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 PM

High RPM launch's with power level's over 400hp can wear down even the strongest of transmissions. DSM trannies can hold a good amount of power, they're just a little weak from the factory, nothing TRE or Shep can't fix though

Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Hey, it's one less thing you have to really worry about when you wanna give yourself some extra power, def less expenses too

Old 12-17-2004, 10:09 AM

[quo [Nice, it can be the Eclipse GST Go kart edition . Anways...i'm not sure if you're te]serious....but if you are, yes, both wheels are driven. Since the F5M3x comes stock with an open differential(in DSMs, anyway), in tight corners and being fwd, it might feel like the car is being a little light on one side. If you're not serious, well then....i still think the go kart thing is funny....

yea, serious, I been driv'n rear wheel Americans up till lately because GM scared me away from anything FWD. I finally bought a DSM because their engineering is awesome.
I asked the Mitsu. showroom salesman what wheels are turning/i.e actually be powered by the drive, "one wheel ?" two wheels? full time? lo-locked? part-time? some slip? ...and he said "I dunno".

I bought the '02 Lancer then sold it to afford a new mortgage. Then bought a used Talon 4G37 for a feul-econ daily highway-er.

I was just wondering how this transaxel works.

DT

Old 12-17-2004, 02:55 PM

Cool, but to see the true potential of a DSM, you have to ride in a turbo model. That'll really get you hooked into the DSM thing and turbocharging and all that, and you won't think twice about American Muscle.....

P.S. does anyone notice the smiley face looks like a chinese guy laughing? The rest of them look....americanized...except for the laughing guy.....not to offend anyone or anything....i just noticed it.....

Old 12-17-2004, 06:22 PM

lol, yea, i noticed that too..............

Old 12-19-2004, 02:45 AM

just don't forget you can turbo a V-8 too. You can strap a turbo kit from proturbokits.com onto a stock 5.0 and only running like 6 or 7 psi with an upgraded fuel pump you can run 4-500hp.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Dans Talon

Here's a stupid question:

On the FWD models, are both two front wheels being powered by the transaxel or is only one wheel ?

DT
No, they are not both powered at the same time. There is NO LSD in the stock transmissions.

I have had 3 different variations in my GS-T. With the current being an AWD fitted with a Quaife LSD and utilizing the FWD axles (24% stronger than AWD axles).

Old 12-24-2004, 10:45 PM

that sounds like a nice setup

Old 12-25-2004, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: vertstanggt

that sounds like a nice setup
Very nice so far. Thinking of finishing the AWD this winter though.

Anyone want to buy a FWD tranny with a LSD for $3,000?

Quick Reply: All wheel drive? Front wheel drive?