2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: AWD

If your serious about getting it done get in contact with a shop and get a quote from them.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:57 PM

i think it would be easier to mak e a gsx a convertible

Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM

I wanted to revive this thread because I'm interested in trying this too. I've been doing a little research so help me out and please confirm if I've got my facts right so far.

My understanding is that the VR-4's...the GTOs and Galants have rear wheel steering but the AWD eclipses do not, Is that correct?

Is the awd in the gsx eclipses similar to the drivetrain in the Expos and possibly the Outlander?

I read somewhere that they made some VR or at least AWD diamantes. I know they made VR galants like up to 2000 so I would think converting a galant might not be too bad if you had suspension and drive.

Somebody in this thread mentioned that only the spyder could be converted to an AWD....because of the frame. Could you elaborate more on this?

Old 09-08-2007, 03:04 PM

the frame on the spyder is stronger like the AWD frame is....unlike the GST where you would have to do mods to make the frame stronger to handle the power. its not impossible for a GST just more work. if you are going to do it you are going to need a donor car with the trans all the way back to the rear axle intact.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: AlZuben

I wanted to revive this thread because I'm interested in trying this too. I've been doing a little research so help me out and please confirm if I've got my facts right so far.

My understanding is that the VR-4's...the GTOs and Galants have rear wheel steering but the AWD eclipses do not, Is that correct?

Is the awd in the gsx eclipses similar to the drivetrain in the Expos and possibly the Outlander?

I read somewhere that they made some VR or at least AWD diamantes. I know they made VR galants like up to 2000 so I would think converting a galant might not be too bad if you had suspension and drive.

Somebody in this thread mentioned that only the spyder could be converted to an AWD....because of the frame. Could you elaborate more on this?

all vr-4s have 4ws, eclipse doesnt no matter which model.
they say its easier for a spyder awd conversion, and you need a donor car. but i have seen a car, which i posted here awhile back in the off topic section of a coupe that was converted awd. but for the cost of doing it. go out and buy an AWD. totally waste of time and money...............unless you want the awd spyder like said above^^^^

Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Not all 3kgt/stealth VR4/TT AWD had 4WS.

No it's not impossible to swap AWD into a coupe as shown here...
http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml
...and no, that swap isn't only for the Spyders. There's no need to use any other vehicles drivetrain either. You have to consider the gear ratios, not just the fact that other vehicles are AWD or have a driveshaft and rear diff, on top of that, you have to consider the overall length.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 PM

I'm actually interested in doing the conversion on a Diamante. I was thinking of finding a donor from a gsx for the rear drivetrain, transfer case, etc.

I'm trying to find out the difference between the frames. They had 2 different frame types for the AWD and FWD Diamantes.
overall length affects length of driveshafts but I would think suspension, transmission, transfer cases would be about the same. That's why I am trying to find out if they used similar parts in expos and outlanders.