2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Block off plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Default Block off plate

Quick question: What is a block off plate (note the newbie status )

Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Block off plate

Im guessingyour probably talking about is the EGR blockoff. Basically its an emmision conponent that alot of people will remove so that youll have some clutter out of there, and youll have cleaner air running though the engine.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM

removing the EGR is idiotic, as it actually improves the operating efficiency of your engine.
removing it causes the cumbustion temps to rise, the system to lean out, raises NOX levels (to nicely produce photochemical smog), and causes a loss of milage.

so, dont buy/install/use a blockoff plate ever.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Please dont start this blockoff plate discussion, to each one its own

Old 02-24-2007, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

removing the EGR is idiotic, as it actually improves the operating efficiency of your engine.
removing it causes the cumbustion temps to rise, the system to lean out, raises NOX levels (to nicely produce photochemical smog), and causes a loss of milage.

Lots of misinformation here. EGR valve does not improve efficiency whatsoever and id like you to explain how it would. Its only purpose is for emissions. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is just that, it takes some of the exhaust and passes it through the cylinders again so your car runs cleaner. Now as for whether or not you should block it off, I agree you should not, just leave it alone. The reason people started blocking it off is because they thought that the "hot" exhaust gas lead to high intake charge temps and would kill performance when you want the intake air to be cold as possible. Its a good theory, but the fact is blocking it off makes very little difference in intake temps and no difference in performance. The only thing its gonna do is give you a check engine light.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Removing the EGR canister and lines will clear the immediate area of clutter and allow only fresh air into the intake and no regurgitated exhaust...oh and a very tiny amount of oily air from the PCV.

Remove it, keep it, it's all up to you. Removing it does take away some gas milage, in case you're worried about gas prices.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 PM

i have one on my 99gs. the mileage drop was insignificant... we are talking like 5-7miles per tank of gas. mabey it was just all in my head but i felt a difference when i put it on mine. when i heard exactly what it did, i coudln't understand why it wouldn't help... you are taking warm and unclean air and putting it back into your engine... i guess i dont' understand why that couldn't help.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

Lots of misinformation here. EGR valve does not improve efficiency whatsoever and id like you to explain how it would. Its only purpose is for emissions. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is just that, it takes some of the exhaust and passes it through the cylinders again so your car runs cleaner. Now as for whether or not you should block it off, I agree you should not, just leave it alone. The reason people started blocking it off is because they thought that the "hot" exhaust gas lead to high intake charge temps and would kill performance when you want the intake air to be cold as possible. Its a good theory, but the fact is blocking it off makes very little difference in intake temps and no difference in performance. The only thing its gonna do is give you a check engine light.
you apparently know nothing about cars, combusiton, or basic combustion theory.

EGR does ONLY good on todays cars. Its not 1971 anymore. Computers can control the proper fuel mixture and the proper EGR flow to improve basic combustion.
there are a million reasons not to alter it; most of which Ive already described. In fact, ive had this discussion before on these boards, but Ill repeat myself AGAIN.
1)the EGR drops combustion temperatures anywhere from 300-800 degrees.
2)EGR prevents enging pinging
3)EGR prevents the formation of NOX.
4)it reduces throttling losses
5)it reduces the chemical disassociation accompanied with high combustion temperatures... In other words, you get more energy from the fuel than you would otherwise.

true, it could cause a loss of power at WOT.. which is exactly why its NOT used at WOT on any car built.

some cars today dont utilize them, but still use the theory by implimenting variable valve timing, or basic valve timing that allows some exhaust recirculation via the valvetrain rather than a seperate valve.

trust me, disabling it is idiotic, and will cost you more than it provides.

contrary to popular belief, EGR actually makes you engines more efficient. If you dont think it does, or dont beleve that you need to do some investigation into basic combustion.

heres another link to this subject which could have been easily found with a "search".
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_106483/tm.htm

Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

i have one on my 99gs. the mileage drop was insignificant... we are talking like 5-7miles per tank of gas. mabey it was just all in my head but i felt a difference when i put it on mine. when i heard exactly what it did, i coudln't understand why it wouldn't help... you are taking warm and unclean air and putting it back into your engine... i guess i dont' understand why that couldn't help.
thats why you're not an engineer.

"Warm and unclean air"? Its inert air, and it cools the combustion temp hundreds of degrees.

leave the engineering up to the engineers, and dont alter your car because of what you think may help it. All you did was make your car ping, raise combustion temps, and poison our atmosphere.

heres what you get by disabling it.

"You will likely run into detonation, the engine will run very poorly, lack power, and will probably run on the hot side as well. In addition, you will get a code 32 before running very long. If you recall from before, the ECM alters fuel and spark advance when it thinks EGR should be on. If no EGR flow is possible because you removed it, you will have a lean condition which will be further aggravated by advanced timing."

Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM

You are horrible at staying on track so I am going to requote your original post. First off, you obviously dont know enough about the internal combustion engine to know that higher combustion temps = more efficient engines. Like I already stated, EGRs are to reduce emissions, they are not put on cars to increase engine efficiency. Whether they have any kind of insignificant effect is NOT the reason they are used on cars. Lower combustion temps = lower NOx, period. That is its only purpose. You also missed the fact that I agreed with you in saying that you should just leave it alone, and dont block it off beacuse it has no noticable benefits and just increases emissions by removing it or blocking it off.

Quick Reply: Block off plate