2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Default blown head gasket

So for those who were following my other thread that was 1st about a possible BOV prob, then was found to be a tps issue, then possible lifter tick. Well when trying to determine if I had merely engine tick the car started shooting water and white smoke out the exhaust. Horrible news since Ive only had it for 3 weeks. Water and white smoke is either a head gasket or possibly a craked head. Basically now Im looking for opinions and advice as to how to handle this fix. Ive seen some liquids (steel seal, thermagasket) you put in the radiator and run through your engine and claim they work but i dont know seems like it might be a scam. Anyone use or know of anyone whos tried those? Just replacing the gasket is expensive and worse if the heads cracked. Just wondering if it was you what would you do?

thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

First do not put any crap additive in the cooling system. Do a compression test and post your results.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 AM

Towing it to a friends this weekend. Ill let everyone know how it turns out. Pray damage isnt severe.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Ok so I been looking around on other forums to see if anyone else had any noises coming from under their valve covers that they thought were lifters and werent. Found a thread on dsmtuners where a guy had the exact same symptoms and led him to this. . .

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyli...d-lifters.html

Exactly what my car sounded like. Ugh I believe I have a long and expensive journey ahead of me.

Probably getting ahead of myself but which is cheaper motor rebuild or all new motor???

Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

You can just get a good used 6 bolt bottom end for abt $350-400. But to confirm pull the oil pan and inspect each rod bearing.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 AM

How would the 6bolt bottom work if I have a tranny that matches a 7bolt??? Curious because I might be able to get an entire 6bolt off of a 92lazer rs off a guy here in town??? Itd be just the engine off the lazer the tranny is destroyed so i wouldnt be able to do an entire swap. Also my budget is extremely limited.

If its just a bearing can that be fixed by just pulling the oil pan? or does the engine need pulled???

...suppose I have to end up doing a full 6 bolt swap...besides dropping the engine in is there any other work that needs to be done such as ecu things and sensor things???

Last edited by spyderSAM; 07-18-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: added things speel check
Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM

sorry just want to make sure of this because my friends going to check it out for me. for my own knowledge because im trying to learn as much about these engines as I can. . .when pulling the oil pan and checking the bearing what exactly would I be looking for to know the difference between a good one and a bad one? Obviously the bad one/ones would knock around like in the video, would the good one be solid with no knock/wiggle?

excuse my ignorance once more haha

i feel like im being nothing but a pain around here with ?s

Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM

getting it towed and the head pulled off in a couple hrs. still kinda looking for some response for my above questions if at all possible.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

For the 6 bolt swap your trans will bolt up fine, if you have any questions abt the swap check out www.vfaq.com.

The bearings can be replaced by pulling the pan off but you have to inspect the rod and crank journals to see if there is any damage.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM

thanks the heads coming off tomorrow along with the oil pan.

Quick Reply: blown head gasket