2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you find anything post some pics!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Pulled the valve cover and everything looked and checked out fine. What was in the oil pan was a different story. Had a good bit of metal shavings laying in it. The rod bearing furtherest from the timing belt could be wiggled to produce the knocking sound thats been heard. SPUN ROD BEARING!

Now I need to figure out what im going to do with the thing. I was told I could replace the bearing as long as the crank and rods still looked good? If that can be done anyone know if it would last or be a wasted effort? I cant really afford a rebuild and nobody I know wants to help pull the engine. Im very low on options.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Can you post pics of the meatal in your oil pan? If the crank and rod journals look good you might be able to get away w/ throwing a set of bearings. How long it would last like that depends on how much metal you have and how much damage was done.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 AM

no pics of the metal. Depending if my dude flushed the pan out I might be able to try and get some when I head back over. There seemed like alot but then again I dont know considering Ive never dealt with anything like this before. There were shavings caught in the oil pick up screen thing but when the oil was drained it came out clean as a whistle. I honestly dont think the damage was that bad since I caught it really early and only had it knocking to diagnose (probably 5-10mins total).

Completely forgot that when we had it idling I was getting a little white smoke that I thought was the head gasket. Had no coolant in the oil at all though and it didnt shoot any out the exhaust. Only had some water drops collecting inside the exhaust tip? When revved the smoke got worse.

So whats white smoke with no coolant shooting out??? Turbo??? Dont want to pull the head if I dont have to.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is your car using coolant? Try doing a compression test.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

hmmm...i wonder if this is a case of the crankwalk. You may want to check for play in the crankshaft because you may have more of a problem then just the bearings.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Might have a coolant issue not but sure. Just idling a couple mins and the head got real hot. Felt hotter than it should have. Coolant is still full though, Im not leaking? Got a small drip at the neck by the cap but thats it.

I keep pushing for my friend to do a compression test but for some he reason wont. Offered to help me out and then is being lazy, makes me angry because I cant do it myself. Kept saying there would be no point since we already know the bearings jacked up. So I went a ahead and ordered a set of bearings.

Ill be over there tomorrow so Ill check everything I can switch the bearings and hopefully then can get him to do a comp. test. What would I check for crankwalk???

Any other checks I could do?

Im going to have to get it home soon since its not in my garage. . .

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you want more info on crankwalk I believe there is a lot of info on www.vfaq.com.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

like i said, check the crankshaft end play

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
like i said, check the crankshaft end play
He was asking how to check it, I believe someone did a write on how to check for crank walk on vfaq.

Quick Reply: blown head gasket