2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Default Blue smoke

I have a 97 Eclipse, for the past 8 months its been blowing out blue smoke from the tail pipe and it gets worse and worse. I've already replaced the pvc valve it didn't help. I'm not using oil. Does anybody have the same problem or know whats wrong??

Old 12-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Default RE: Blue smoke

Usually blue smoke does mean you are burning oil. My 98 eclipse spyder is burning oil. I am going to get the entire engine overhauled. Try having a mechanic to a compression check on your engine. Usually it's your piston rings or valves. Do you burn any oil whatsoever?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 PM

blue's usually oil, white's usually anifreeze. Are you not using any oil at all? If you're not using oil then I'm out of ideas.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:00 PM

I have a '91 GS-T and this happens to me also. Sometimes I have black spray coming out of the tailpipe along with the smoke. I have 157000 miles on the car and can't afford to get a new block. Would it be cheaper to do the compression test and maybe just replace the pistons and rings?

Old 12-04-2004, 01:26 AM

Yeah, I'd do that, might as well do your valves as well, because they are probably worn. I don't think new pistons are necessary unless you are looking to do some serious upgrades to your engine. Just think, if you get new rings and valves, you'll regain all that lost horsepower.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:38 AM

I had an oil leak from the pan and I had to add oil every day until I replaced it like a month ago. But since then it hasn't been doing it but it still smokes, then somebody turned me in to the city and I have a month to fix it. Somebody told me it could be the piston rings and valve stem seals, so does anybody think I should replace those (like $900) or overhaul ($3000). Please HELP!!

Old 12-04-2004, 02:12 AM

I would go with the overhaul if you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a long period of time. If you just want a temporary fix, then I'd just to the rings and the valves. But I'd check another mechanic, because $3,000 sounds too high.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:29 AM

It just means your burning real rich...dont go for an overhaul..thats nuts; change ur spark plugs, check to see if the ignitor's r real wet with gas...if so change em'...and u might as wel do it anyways cuz its easy and its cheap...and if that doesnt solve ur problem, go to your injectors, see if any of them r lagging or leaking. i woudlnt worry about checking compression unless your having engine trouble, it just lets u know which valves r working, or where ur head is cracked...so i dont think itll tell u much except for how much compression there is...lol...andd..if none of that **** works, check ur O2 sensors, that can make a difference. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust??

Old 12-04-2004, 03:38 PM

Yeah, sometimes when you're running rich the smoke can come out with a bluish hue depending on light conditions, but it should for the most part look like black smoke. Like GreddyGST said, check the ignition first, and then the injectors. But if it's getting worse and worse and started 8 month's ago, you should be seeing it as black smoke by now, if it were running rich. You may also want to check the other components of your exhaust system, such as the resonators, catalytic converter, and muffler. While it's unlikely that the will cause the blue smoke, you never know what could be happening.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 AM

Ok I don't know if this would have anything to do with the car smoking but about 2 months ago my check engine light came on I had it check and one code was a misfire in cylinder 4 and the other was code 1486 I think, something about EVP canister (not sure). My muffler is screwed and in the mornings I have to let the car warm up cause if I don't then it dies as soon as I try to take off and then if I finally get it start and try to go it acts like it won't go but as soon as it warms up then its fine.

Quick Reply: Blue smoke