2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

BOARED block

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Default RE: BOARED block

thanks GET, so im looking right AROUND 1300 for a machinest to do it... how long did it take for them to do it? (did you rip it yourself?) also, so i just go in there and say "hey i want you to bore this thing out enough to get about 15-18 lbs of boost with no problems." ??? thanks

Old 01-10-2006, 10:45 AM

What i did is a week before i got it done i went a talked to him about what i wanted. he gave suggestions on what i could do and what would be best. mine was about 1250 for motor and 1350 is final i paid with all new hoses. yes i riped the motor my self took it there they had it done in i beleve 3days. this was a longblock build as well so everthing from the cams down was replaced or turned my motor was board .25 but you also have to remember for a turbo motor you are going to go with a smaller compression motor than a N/A motor becuase it is running the turbo which is pushing more air and fuel into the piston chamber. oh and i almost forgot the motor came compleatly in time i didnt have to do any of that they put a timing belt new tentioner and water pump in as well.

The best thing to do is go to the shop that is going to do the motor and talk personaly with the head macinest they will give you an idea of what they can do for what you want and what you can afford.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 AM

ill post some pics of before and after it went from red to WRX blue.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 AM

Wll if your going turbo I would say dont over bore it, our blocks(420a) are razor thin. .20 over the stock displacment is all that you should do, alos j.e, wisco, or ross currently dosent make pistons that large for our cars they would have to be customed ordered which in that case you would have to contact either conceptillusion.com or exileracing.com. If your looking for more displacment you can either stroke it to a 2.3, which will cost a great deal for custom rods, or go with a 2.4 swap from a avenger. Only problem with that is that motor sits an inch higher than the 420a so wyou would need a different hood. Also the ecu's are different so you would have to do a ecu swap, megasquirt, or a ame stand alone. Anything short of the ecu swap is going to easily over 1200.

The stock displacment is 1.997 cc's, if you go .20 over your going to get 2.197 which is close enough to consider it a 2.2.

For the turbo question the forged motor will take up to 30 psi on a mls head gasket, anything higher than that and you will need to oring the head/block to hold the compression. Whats going to make it possible to run 15-18 psi on that motor is the tune. At that high everything that comes with the 420a from the factory in the area of fuel delivery/motor tune is obsoleat. The cheapest way to get by at that high of a psi is using a walbro 225lph fuel pump, sfmu, high flow fuel filter, big injectors(550???), and a safc, and a msd or crane igntion retartand, Thats the cheapest way to get buy and soemthing like that will run easily as much as 1500. SO yes it will hold the psi only with the right tuning.

For a built block check exileracing.com or conceptillusion.com, your looking around 2000 for a compleatly built block, everything pressed in ready to go, new oil pump,water pump, everything new and machined correctly.

For a motor kit(rods,rings,bearings, gaskets) check howellautomotive.com and again conceptillusion.com

Exileracing.com, howellautomotive.com, and conceptillusion.com all specialize in the 420a and can get any part you could possible need. Currently conceptillusions is make their own stage 2 turbo kit for the 420a and have some of the cheapest prices out.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 PM

thanks for everything "slow", i planned on using Hahn Racecraft for most of my engine work, im pretty sure their forged pistons go up to 2.0 over. would you recomend them for their parts?? that's what everybod's been saying... that Hahn is the place to go for the 420a. aparently im a little in over my head here... once i DO get either my block boared, and my forged pistons, and my new rods. what else do i need right away, obviously a new fuel system eventually (which i planned on getting from Hahn also along with their injectors) but you are talkin about an ecu swap... will i need that if i dont go with the 2.4 swap?? also check out the slowboy link that i put in a couple posts ago and let me know what you think about that set up. thanks a lot.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM

as for the internals. alot of people like eagle but like i said if you are going to overhaul the motor talk to the macinest he will tell ya what internals are going to be good and what the best ones are these are people that do a lot of rebuild and should know what works the best and what dose not. as for the fuel system hahn injectors i have heard will work fine.