2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

forged pistons, boared block... info needed

Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Default forged pistons, boared block... info needed

i hear all this stuff about me needing to boar my block and get forged pistons. im not exactly a master mechanic so i don't know a whole lot about engines so can anybody help me out, just tryin to learn what im doin to my car before it's done and what it actually does. any info is appreciated

Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Default RE: forged pistons, boared block... info needed

ok when somone rebuilds the motor there are several things that are done onthe block. first it is pulled apart to see if there is any damage that is done in the piston walls if it is too bad somtimes they need re-sleaved " sleaves are inserts of metal that surround the piston to get in and out the block had to be heated up to remove and replace" if all is ok they can bore it this is the milling "taking off" part of the sleve usual amout it is milled is 0.25. than after that the macinest or machnic will attach the rods to the new pistons that are .25 over to fit the sleave along with new piston rings "what makes the seal on the piston to the wall of the sleave"after all the ipstions attached to rods have been put in "it is suggested to get new rods or harden the rode for forced induction applications" the macines will put the crank in which most likly is at stock to .25 under depending on if it needs milled. than stock or up .25 barring willbe placed and rods attached. It is recomened that tha motor be ballanced and so it is in syncronicity dont think i spelled that right with itself than tha lower part of the moto is put together.
some minor details have been skiped like the connecting pins for pistons builder compound and so fourth.

That is just a basic understanding of it.