2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Default Boost leak?

Ok now i am thinking its a boost leak not a fuel cut. Read my post "My new GS-T" and you will know about my car.
When i get about 4 grand i start to lose power, the boost guage is pinned all the way at max and i start loosing speed. Also if i let of the gas a littlebit and loose boost i can start accelerating again and i can go past 5 grand. It does this in every gear. When on the highway in 5th i cant go past 80 and i cant go over 3500 but if i let off the gas for a min and lightly press again i can go a little bit faster. . Also when maxing out it sounds really loud like there is a vac hose loose or something. There is a guage cluster that has just an oil pressure guage in it but it sounds like there is a vac hose in there, I dont know if has anyting do do with this but it sounds like "white noise" and gets way louder with more boost. What do you guys think?
thanks,

keith

Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned
Default RE: Boost leak?

Is your flapper stuck close? Sounds likea wastegate problem

Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Just so you know for future issues.
A boost leak test is a must for all turbo cars. Why? Because there's a lot of pressure in those I/C pipes and you can expect to blow a coupler loose here and there. There will never be a complete touch free piping unless they are welded together and that is not recommended either.
A quick rundown....do a boost leak test first, then let us know where you stand. Don't just go back and tighten down the couplers or worm clamps either, that only creates more work than needed.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 AM

I swear i saw on vfaq a how to do a boost leak test, But i cant find it now. I searched this site too. Can someone give me a link or explain it to me.
thanks,

keith

Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM

I knew i saw it there, lol. Ok i am going to go to homedepot/autozone when they open to get the meterials. Also i took off the guage cluster and found a vac hose that was making the "white noise" sound, I am assuming its for a boost guage. I just pluged it up for now to stop the noise. Ill let you guys know what happens after i do the leak test.
thanks,

keith

Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM

Ok i just did the test. no leaks=(. So what are some other things i should check? I was thinking maybe plugs and wires but if they where bad i dont think it would rev up fine when out of gear. So im thinking it has to be fuel related. Because when it starts bogging down aometimes at 3500 the boost gauge is maxed out.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Do you get a CEL at all?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

just got my cel pulled, O2 sensor.PO141

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM

sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all piping is tightly secured from the turbo to the intake mani. Then check the tb gasket. Then if you stil ahve any rubber hosing pullthem an make sure there arent any punctures. My boost leak ended up being where the j pipe connected to the compressor housing. It looked tight, but under full boost the pipe lifted right off the turbo an drove me nuts until i found it

Quick Reply: Boost leak?