2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Boosting a 420A

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Default RE: Boosting a 420A

**** your on 2g nt.com, I am youkickedmydog on there. I was told by lots of people that the stock ingition on the 420a blows after 10psi. My buddys neon with a 420a in it had some where round 120k on it when it blew... he also told me that he got his msd box from hahn with his port fuler.

I still dont see someone making 300whp on the stock bottome end though. Stock the 420a is at 140bhp, and hahn says something to the effect of a 50hp power increase from their stage two kit. I know that hp grows exponentaly with an increase in boost. But the stock whp isant 140, but if it were(just for arguments sake) thats 190whp. If you can muster 110 hp out of a soild 5psi, and a good tune your the man. Also I dont see how the stock pistons rings could even hold that high.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 AM

If you read the thread about the 300whp guy all the gurus will explain. The rings don't go the ring lands do, anyways the only reason they go is if the motor is already on the way out or if there is something wrong with the tune. A bunch of Hondas are able to that kind of power on stock bottom ends, it's not because they're motors are stronger but because they've gotten realllly good at tuning them. Hahn only made that much hp because they run a 16g. 15psi on a 16g is a lot different than 15psi on a big T3. And I know a ton of people running plenty more than 10psi on the stock ignition, I run 20 with absolutely no problems and no knock, your friends ignition must have been very weak already. Yea I've seen you on 2gnt before. I'm not tryin to start a debate I'm just laying down the facts. Your friend may have ordered an MSD ignition at the same time as the portfueler but it's not sold with the kit. Anyways to the poster good luck wish you the best!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 AM

okay so I am asuming its the cartech fmu that hahn uses thats not giving a proper tune. How are these guys tuning their motor to save the pistons? A plug and play? magasquirt?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

okay so I am asuming its the cartech fmu that hahn uses thats not giving a proper tune. How are these guys tuning their motor to save the pistons? A plug and play? magasquirt?
Just to clarify the guy no the stock bottom end was running 16 pounds on a t3t4, i found the thread. For his tuning he was using portfueler. But yea people use vortec SFMU, that's a little better, or portfueler (what I have now), or another kind of 8-injector setup, or MSnS (what I'm switching over to). I'm not sayin every motor can handle 16psi just giving one case where it has happened. And I think the original poster has as good of a chance at running it since everything is brand new. Just make you have a nice AFR gauge and an EGT gauge and watch them very carefully, and take some dataloggs and make sure the ecu isn't pulling any timing out (which means your knocking). Other than that happy boosting!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM

wow, if you still have that post pm it to my 2gnt acount. I would like to read that. Ya i heard that the cartech's leeked and were inconsistant. Figured as much that he was running a portfuler, from what my friend told me its easy as hell to use and works great. Whats the main reason for you switching systems though?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

wow, if you still have that post pm it to my 2gnt acount. I would like to read that. Ya i heard that the cartech's leeked and were inconsistant. Figured as much that he was running a portfuler, from what my friend told me its easy as hell to use and works great. Whats the main reason for you switching systems though?
Yea Portfueler was great and super simple, and I guess that's why I'm getting tired of it, it was too simple. You can only change how much fuel you get in boost, every 500rpm's and up to 27psi. And the software is horrible, everytime I want to change something, I have to take my data logs in another program with another cable, then switch cables and switch programs, turn off the car, make my adjustments, burn it to the portfueler and then drive around more and do the same thing, it takes forever. Where as with MSnS, I can tune pretty much everything imaginable, from start-up to redline, fuel AND ignition. I'm getting kind of tired of 20psi so I want to turn it up but I can't unless I have spark control, that and it automatically corrects for temperature/altitude changes, and you can tune real-time with the car on instantly.

By the way why can't you type any websites in here, that's kind of retarded. I'll pm you the link.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:13 PM

This site makes money by advertisments to pay for its domain name. tl;dr: competitor sites cant be mentioned. Same goes on hondaforum.com, dodgeforum.com and such... which are managed by the same person. Amanda i think is her name. Its kinda like a swear filter, major competitor sites are blocked, fo sample dsmtuners.com... blocked, dsmtalk.com, not blocked. BTW i cant get 2gnt.com to open up, it says that the server is down, you getting that too?

Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Seems to be workin for me!