2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

burning oil suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Default burning oil suddenly

have a 95 gsx, with 44K on it, bought the car with a little bit of turbo whine but nothing serious, proceded to do an oil change and put in 5W 30 like the manual calls for, now the car burns what seems to be a decient amount of oil and the oil pressure is fluctuating quiet a bit,

so im thinking the 44K are some hard miles, going to put 10W 30 in to see if that fixes it, worried about the turbo whine on start up though, theres no shaft play or broken turbines in the turbo already checked it,

got any ideas here guys? pretty sure the guy put 10W30 in the car if i remember correctly and i had no issues before i changed the oil, just changed it to see if the whine would go away.

do i need to rebuild the turbo maybe??

Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Is there any oil in the upper i/c pipe? Is the car smoking? If so what color?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 PM

car was smoking a blueish color

but just pulled the drain plug and to my dismay there was coolant in the oil,

on a naturaly asperated motor i know exactly what that means, head gasket,

but seeing as i know absolute squat about turbos maybe im jumping the gun on a head rebuild

pretty sure the turbo has nothing to do with coolant but please someone make me feel better and prove me wrong ha ha

Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 AM

if it is the stock turbo it is oil and water cooled.. if the center section is cracked or damaged the two can mix and it could explain the whine. Also the water cooled oil cooler is known to be weak. If the oil filter was torqued down too tight it compresses the fins in the cooler and allows the water and oil to mix. Check those first before thinking about pulling the head. Do a compression test too. It sounds like your rings aren't keeping the lower weight oil out of the combustion chamber.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM

wow well glad i said something before i did a tear down, that could have been a slight headach ha ha, now you said oil fliter being torqued down to tight, you mean like the engine oil filter? i assume, and it was a bear to get off, so lets say that did happen and the fins were compressed, do they rebound back after i took that oil filter off and put a new one on not so tight??
ill do a compression test right now, ill post my numbers here in a few

and ya it whines pretty bad, im just going to junk the turbo and get a new stock turbo, or should i get a different turbo thats just oil cooled to save me a future headach??

Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM

4 3 2 1
147 147 148 154

think im ok on the compression, all 4 were holding there compressions without leak

Old 08-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Most of the bigger turbos are water and oil cooled so it all depends on your goals. PTE makes a good 50trim turbo that can support up to 450 hp that is only oil cooled. As far as the wated cooled oil cooler, once compressed those fins are junked. Think of a radiator or intercooler (since thats essentially what it is) here is a good article about it

http://vfaq.com/mods/oilcool.html

They are still good... a little low for an engine with only 44k mile though the service limit is 133 and should be 178 across the board brand new.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM

starting to track down the problems here guys, looking to straight up through the turbo away thats in the car now

what is in this car? 95 gsx

t25 or b14?

going to pressure test my oil cooler tomorrow to see if it is indeed shot

Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM

just pressure tested the oil cooler, its fine,

ripping the turbo out and getting another t25, could this be the source of my problem, can coolant and oil actually mix in the turbo itself? could it have cracked possibly?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 PM

was looking at the turbo a little bit closer and someone welded a crack in it back together, dont know if it was professionally done or just a hack job but i missed it on first glance, thinking heres my problem

thanks for all the help guys, got a new turbo on the way

Quick Reply: burning oil suddenly