2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

burning oil suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 AM

just installed the turbo and im pretty sure shes still mixing coolent and oil,

she keeps compression at 155 on all cyc
i ripd out the oil cooler and did a compression test on that and it wasnt leaking to my knowledge but i supose there could be a small hole in there and i just cant hear it when i have the bike pump pressing against it??? should i throw some soap and water in there to see if it will bubble????

white is coming out of the tail pipe but its not consistent enought to be a head gasket leak or at least a big one for that matter,,,,

guess im ripping apart the motor for a new head gasket,,, any other ideas guys???????????????

also what a list of things i should do when im in there??

timing belt, water pump, oil pump, should i get the mulitlayer crush head gasket????? heard that will stand up to boast better then the stock one,,

what ever advise you guys have would be great thanks...

Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 AM

Water pump is a good idea. You might not have to do the oil pump. It could go for a few more miles. I would definately do the timing belt and components: tensioner pully, idler pulley, hydraulic tensioner should still be good. If you have balance shafts still I would replace that belt and tensioner as well. Just make sure to put some RTV sealant on the tensioner bolt for the balance shaft tensioner because it goes through an oil jacket

Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM

thanks for your responce what_up -- appreciate the help,

i am actually thinking i jumped the gun on the entire coolent mixing with oil thing -- once i had everything hooked up i just started and let the car idol, didnt actually take it up and down the road, once my dad told me that all the crap will probably still be in the conbustion chamber and what not -- long story short,,,,,

took her down the road and back -- once i got past the first two gears, i clean all that crap out of the motor and now she seems to be running fine ,, she s not mixing coolent and oil any more

yet she does seem to be burning oil, its def blue coming out of the tail pipe but its only when its higher in the rpms, im seriously doubting that i could have fried a valve guild in the process of swaping turbos and a few coolent mixed miles

i got the turbo used and local, no shaft play at all and it looks new, the previous owner said it had about 5 K on it,, could my issue be a leaking seal in the turbo and when she spools up its bypassing it?

thanks for all your help and patients again

regards,

Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 AM

taken her up and down the road a couple of times, she wont blow any smoke out of the back up to 3 K

once you get her to 3.5K then she starts burning oil,

had a pos vtec motor that i ripped apart twice because it was doing the same thing, to me this means valve guides from past experince

right now theres only 4 quarts of oil in the car, im just trying to clean out the rest of the coolent residue, planning on doing an oil change here soon and putting its 5 quarts in

because i only have 4 in right now would that be screwing with the oil pressure and causing this problem? ive heard these motors can be a little touchy sometimes with oil pressure and amounts in the crank case,,,, but im doubting one quart down can screw with it this bad.....

thanks guys

Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 PM

hey guys,

just talked to a friend whose an absolute dsm and evo Nut, he threw out an idea of my intercooler being contaminated from my original malfunctioning turbo, along with the air piping with that,

what do you guys think? the car isnt on the road and the only time i moved it was when i was painting the front of the car, at which point it went on and off a trailer twice under its own power and sat then sat still while idoling for twenty minutes

during this process i actually found out that the coolent was mixing and thus this entire turbo swap and burning oil thing started,

( i did an oil change right before this and there was no idication of coolent in that oil )

so you guys are the pros, think the turbo at mostly idol engine speed could have kicked oil and what not into my intercooler and is now causing my oil buring issue at 3.5K which is conviently when the new turbo is pretty much at full boast? ( its still a t25 )

regards,,